Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
1967 400/400
Guys who buy these cars, looking for them to be like a 2022 Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang, are the ones who sell them in a year, after the novelty wears off... or they require maint.

The difference is, when you drive a 2022 Hellcat, you love your car. When you drive a 67 GTO, everyone else loves your car.

Keeping it running is just a right of passage. People arent impressed when you tell them your Hellcat has 700 HP, but they're damn impressed when they find out that you changed your fuel pump on the way to dinner.

Registered
Guys who buy these cars, looking for them to be like a 2022 Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang, are the ones who sell them in a year, after the novelty wears off... or they require maint.

The difference is, when you drive a 2022 Hellcat, you love your car. When you drive a 67 GTO, everyone else loves your car.
The OP is upgrading to a GTO from a Jeepster. I think he knows what he's getting into as far as reliability and the attention that comes with driving an old car. Honestly the Jeepster may get more attention at the gas pumps than the GTO does. Not to knock the Pontiacs, but there are some cars that everyone likes, even folks who aren't car guys. Old Jeeps, Classic British cars, etc. Bring my wife to a car show and she won't look twice, or even once, at most of the muscle cars there. Show her a classic Mini or an MG and she'll talk for hours about how cool it was.

Funny side story is I had a guy offer to trade me even my LeMans for his 2018 Challenger SRT8, and this was before it had the 461 in it. Obviously, I told him no but included "you don't know what you'd be getting into". That turned out to be more right than I though. One week later was when the engine grenaded.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Both of these sentiments are so true, in fact I was astounded by the amount of attention the Jeepster received when I hauled it home through the Western states, every gas stop was a big long conversation with old guys, much more interest than my beatuiful 70 Camaro ever received. I guess I should clear things up a bit about my vehicular "education". This goat is not my first classic go round. Not counting the 68 Montego, 67 Lemans and 72 Camaro I had in high school, I have restored a 70 Camaro RS (sold and kicking myself), a 73 Corvette L82 (might sell it) and the 70 Jeepster Commando (sold it to buy this goat). I also have a 66 Chevelle SS roller in my shop ready to put together at some point. I have found that I love the process as much as anything.....I like to get vehicles with the body and paint in decent shape and go from there. This GTO is pretty much "done", however I have a full page list of the stuff I plan on doing even before getting the car. I have a decent shop just for the hobby and I am capable of SLOWLY tackling most issues, such as wiring, suspension, pulling and replacing a motor, minor fab and paint prep stuff, tuning, rebuilding carbs and all that shit, so yeah my eyes are wide open on the GTO. In fact I wouldnt have it any other way! This 67 GTO has been my dream car for quite some time, it is a great base but I dont expect it to be a perfect turn key car and I dont want it to be. Now once Im done with it....it will be excellent, as reliable and awesome as a new hellcat......by the numbers no, in my heart yes.

It is a really interesting point about what people respond to. The jeepster really brings a bunch of comments and love everywhere it goes, but I find I dont care all that much.....it does not stir my soul every time I start the dauntless V6 like the GTO will every time I start that 428 and every second that I drive the car. I will say this GTO community is very welcoming and I look forward to taking part. Tomorrow I head out to Colorado with the Jeepster on my car trailer, then on to the Kansas to grab my goat and bring er all the way home to Oregon!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

21 - 24 of 24 Posts