Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm Mike. This is my first post here as I am looking to pick up a GTO.

I will be trading in my '01 Jetta and that combined with some cash will give me about 10k to put down on the car. I would like to get a '05 MN6 and was wondering what kind of deal I can get from the dealerships. What are the deals some of you guys have gotten on purchases as far as price paid? Also I was wondering if someone could tell me how the sport appearance package works. Is that a before delivery installed option, or something that you put on after you buy the car? Can it be put on after purchase? Also what kind of has mileage have you guys gotten? I have a LS1 MN6 and was getting 22mpg or so, can I expect similar mileage from an LS2 based car?
How is the modding going on these cars? Are there a lot of semi-cheap but effective mods coming out now, and what kind of gains are you experiencing with them?
How is the ride, and handling of the car?
Are there any known issues yet, or anything I should watch out for when I go to buy the car? What is the most and least popular color?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, I am just excited to get one of these as I need a new car and want something fast but still able to carry my wife and son in (the vette and motorcycle won't work for that :rofl: )

Thanks everyone
:cheers :cool

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an '04 that I purchased about a month ago. So far, I am happy with the car. The only issue I've had is a dead battery which the dealer replaced under warranty. There are some mods that are available depending on how much you want to spend. The car is pretty impressive bone stock though. The '05 is even faster. My advive... buy the car, you won't be sorry. There are a lot of guys on here that will help and answer questions for you. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
RevnR6 said:
Hey guys, i'm Mike. This is my first post here as I am looking to pick up a GTO.

I will be trading in my '01 Jetta and that combined with some cash will give me about 10k to put down on the car. I would like to get a '05 MN6 and was wondering what kind of deal I can get from the dealerships. What are the deals some of you guys have gotten on purchases as far as price paid? Also I was wondering if someone could tell me how the sport appearance package works. Is that a before delivery installed option, or something that you put on after you buy the car? Can it be put on after purchase? Also what kind of has mileage have you guys gotten? I have a LS1 MN6 and was getting 22mpg or so, can I expect similar mileage from an LS2 based car?
How is the modding going on these cars? Are there a lot of semi-cheap but effective mods coming out now, and what kind of gains are you experiencing with them?
How is the ride, and handling of the car?
Are there any known issues yet, or anything I should watch out for when I go to buy the car? What is the most and least popular color?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, I am just excited to get one of these as I need a new car and want something fast but still able to carry my wife and son in (the vette and motorcycle won't work for that :rofl: )

Thanks everyone
:cheers :cool
Welcome to the club Mike... I would not expect killer deals on 05's Mike. I'd expect to shell out at least 32-34K. Some are praying for an end of year miracle discount, but the 05's are selling too well for that. It's a gamble you'd have to take if you expect to hold out for one. If I were looking now and found one I like, I'd haggle and get the best deal I can, because I do not see the prices dropping much.

I paid 31K for mine back in January when I ordered mine. When I finally took delivery I got 1K cash back on it as well.

As far as the SAP.. that is a dealer installed option. You order it thru the dealer and when it arrives they install it. You can do a cash and carry as well. The price on the entire kit varies from dealer to dealer.. GTODealer on here has advertised some great prices on the kits. The kit lists for 3300. I had mine installed for 2300. The kit works by removing the rear facia, deck spoiler, rocker panels, grill inserts, lower valance, and both mufflers. They are replaced with a more sportier package. The mufflers on the SAP are duel duel ports with a more aggressive sounding exhaust.

Best MPG I have gotten was around 24 MPG on a long run. I got 21.6 with the A/C on once. Stop and go driving for me is in the high 15's to 17 MPG.

I have not moded mine out... I want mine to be as close to OEM as possible. Some others on here can advise you on what mods to add. There are all sorts of astute guys on here that can get your car moded up right.

The car handles like a dream....It's a quiet ride with windows up, and hugs the road well. It's an aggressive sounding car that turns heads. It's a muscle car with a luxury interior.

There are usually issues with every new car. Some have reported bad experiences, others have not had any grievances . I guess it all depends on who was working the day your car was built and if they had a rough night the night before....., or if there were parts problems.

As far as colors, I've seen them all, and I like them all. Most popular colors?? I'd say Torrid Red, and Black. They seem to be the top sellers.

At any rate..... YOU WILL NOT be disappointed with a GTO.

Good luck :cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
GTO judge said:
Welcome to the club Mike... I would not expect killer deals on 05's Mike. I'd expect to shell out at least 32-34K. Some are praying for an end of year miracle discount, but the 05's are selling too well for that. It's a gamble you'd have to take if you expect to hold out for one. If I were looking now and found one I like, I'd haggle and get the best deal I can, because I do not see the prices dropping much.

I paid 31K for mine back in January when I ordered mine. When I finally took delivery I got 1K cash back on it as well.

As far as the SAP.. that is a dealer installed option. You order it thru the dealer and when it arrives they install it. You can do a cash and carry as well. The price on the entire kit varies from dealer to dealer.. GTODealer on here has advertised some great prices on the kits. The kit lists for 3300. I had mine installed for 2300. The kit works by removing the rear facia, deck spoiler, rocker panels, grill inserts, lower valance, and both mufflers. They are replaced with a more sportier package. The mufflers on the SAP are duel duel ports with a more aggressive sounding exhaust.

Best MPG I have gotten was around 24 MPG on a long run. I got 21.6 with the A/C on once. Stop and go driving for me is in the high 15's to 17 MPG.

I have not moded mine out... I want mine to be as close to OEM as possible. Some others on here can advise you on what mods to add. There are all sorts of astute guys on here that can get your car moded up right.

The car handles like a dream....It's a quiet ride with windows up, and hugs the road well. It's an aggressive sounding car that turns heads. It's a muscle car with a luxury interior.

There are usually issues with every new car. Some have reported bad experiences, others have not had any grievances . I guess it all depends on who was working the day your car was built and if they had a rough night the night before....., or if there were parts problems.

As far as colors, I've seen them all, and I like them all. Most popular colors?? I'd say Torrid Red, and Black. They seem to be the top sellers.

At any rate..... YOU WILL NOT be disappointed with a GTO.

Good luck :cheers
:agree
Ditto! Welcome!
I was able to pick my '05 for closer to 30K, but I picked it up with the employee discount. Since the GTO is not offered anymore on the discount, expect to pay around 32-34K. Eitherway, it is probably one of the smartest decisions I have made(well, close too at least :D ).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went to some local dealerships in Vegas to check out what they had in stock. Here is what I found that I like the best. A Black w/ Red interior and a bluish grey w/ black interior, both MN6 cars.

I had a horrible experience with Peoples Pontiac here. First off as I drove up we( my fiancee and I) were ambushed right there. That really pisses me off. I was sitting in my car talking to Sarah and I have this salesman standing 2 feet from my door looking at me, that is extremely rude. So I get out and I am still nice enough to talk to him and I tell him my situation. I tell him that I am looking at the GTO and I want to see what he has on the lot. I tell him I don't need to drive one until I find the exact one I am going to be buying. I also said that I would NOT be purchasing the car that day, that I would be ready to do so this monday-wednesday depending on the financing situation. I told him that I was not going to be running numbers today nor would I have my trade in appraised today, and that all I was going to do was see what kind of rate they could offer me and how much down the bank would require. I had already been approved for a loan(although a little less money than I wanted) through my own bank but I had heard that GMAC usually has some good deals. So we go inside and fill out the credit app and all. Well he is gone for a few minutes and then comes back and asks for the key to my car. I repeated that we aren't going to do the appraisal today. So he asked me what the "real" reason I didn't want to do the appraisal and buy the car tonight was, saying that I was obviously BSing him about some part of the deal. That REALLY pissed me off. But once again I told him calmly that I don't buy a car on the first day and that I was going to check the financing and then after that work on the deal, and see where I could get the best deal. If that was with him, then he would get the sale.

He again goes up to the desk and this time brings his card back and says that I am obviously not serious and he doesn't know what I am trying to do, and I should come back when I get my stuff straight. So I again explained that his job for that night was to figure out what kind and how much financing he could offer me, and that that was the step he needed to complete before I moved on with the car purchase. If he doesn't do that, then there is no reason for me to come back, because we will still be at square one. So I begin to walk out and he tells me that the GTO that I was looking at on his lot was the only MN6 in Las Vegas. So I say "well maybe, except for the 3 at Desert Pontiac( the other dealership I visited)" So he says "well they must have just gotten them in". I told him "nice try but I don't appreciate your lying to me and your poor customer service"..

That guy is the kind of guy that makes car buying the kind of pain in the ass that it is. BTW his name is Dan Edelman, last name may be spelled wrong.
I talked to a salesman at the other dealership I mentioned (Desert Pontiac) and he was much more helpful. I will be doing business with Desert instead of Peoples now. I am also going to put in a call Monday morning to Peoples and tell them why they will not be receiving my business.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't we all

Can't we all just get along?

When will sales guys figure out that all they have to do is act friendly and be helpful??!!

Maybe part of the problem is that Pontiac salesmen have spent the last few years trying to slam someone into a Sunfire or AzzCrack and they just don't have any experience in dealing with someone who's interested in a $30,000 car.

Good Luck with your search!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wizard Of Iz said:
Can't we all just get along?

When will sales guys figure out that all they have to do is act friendly and be helpful??!!

Maybe part of the problem is that Pontiac salesmen have spent the last few years trying to slam someone into a Sunfire or AzzCrack and they just don't have any experience in dealing with someone who's interested in a $30,000 car.

Good Luck with your search!
HAH! I'll definately agree with that statement of Pontiac salesmen... when I went with my dad to buy my goat back in April, the salesmen asked how old I was. After that he insisted on selling me a Grand Am or and old Sunfire or something... even after I walked up and said I had the money and was looking to get an 05 GTO.

That's like if someone has a generic used car lot and the customer walks up and says "Hello, I'd like to purchase that 2 year old Ferrari over there. I have the money with me and would like to drive it off the lot today". Then the "pontiac" salesman would reply "Well, I have this beautiful Civic EX here that you should like. I can get 30 mpg and can beat Mustangs in races... you'll be completely set!"

:rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
the only thing i can figure in your situation is that the salesman knew he would sell the gto. he didnt know how long the piece of **** sunfire (my car) would be on the lot so he figured he'd have the best chance of selling it to a teenager. that doesnt matter though. if a customer says they want to buy something... you sell it to them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking... why would he try to sell me a car which he would make a couple hundred in commission... compared to me already agreeing to buy a car that he'll make (I don't have a clue exactly how much but) much more in commission - silly salesmen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I have another question now. I noticed that the GTO as 245s on the back, is there any way to get a slightly wider tire on that rim. I don't want to be ghetto fabulous with it, so I only want to put a wider tire on if it is easy and perfectly acceptable, safe, and effective to do so. If it is not, then I will just get some wider wheels. I think even stepping up 1 more size would help with the traction.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You'd have to talk to some people using specific after-market tires and see how they fit. Unfortunately the goat doesn't have a whole lot of room in the wheel well without doing mods of some type... so if you aren't careful you can pretty easily get wheel rub happening and other problems of that sort.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well evertthing is coming together. My '01 Jetta is in the shop getting some things done to it to prepare it for trading in. I have my cash ready to go, and the financing went through. It looks like this weekend I will be picking up my 2005 Silver-bluish GTO 6-speed. I can't wait. I am going to put in my order for the shifter right now in fact. Wooh-hoo :party:

·
Registered
565 Posts
RevnR6 said:
Well evertthing is coming together. My '01 Jetta is in the shop getting some things done to it to prepare it for trading in. I have my cash ready to go, and the financing went through. It looks like this weekend I will be picking up my 2005 Silver-bluish GTO 6-speed. I can't wait. I am going to put in my order for the shifter right now in fact. Wooh-hoo :party:
:party: :cheers :party:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.