Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My Wife and I bought our 05 GTO on the 11th of Nov and I've been on here lurking and gathering all the info I can about our GTO. I really love the thing and driving it is a blast (it is actually the wifes car). I have found out all I need to know about more performance but looks like the stereo will be an issue I'll have to just deal with on my own.

I have enlisted a local stereo shop to make a 12" sub box in the trunk against the corner where the sub amp is mounted. Before doing this, will the bass be efective being there is a solid wall with the gas tank in between? I would hate to have a box built and it not be effective. I was thinking of removing the rear deck speakers since they wouldn't be used anyway. For now, I will leave the factory system and maybe upgrade the front and rear side speakers.

So what do you guys think about this? Has anyone done anything with their GTO as far as stereos go? Any help and info to make this sucessful will be appreciated.

G

·
oh it will be effective alright, just not as loud as it could be inside because the trunk is separated from the passenger area. But it wont hurt anything, its not like the gas is gonna get a headache. :-D

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the GTO Information SuperHighway! Make sure you post as many pics as you can!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the experience I have had with this board so for, I kinda thought you would be the first reply! It's no insult... I have come to value your opinion BigMike!

Thanks! I'll go ahead and put in the order for my amp and sub.

G

·
WOWHUH said:
From the experience I have had with this board so for, I kinda thought you would be the first reply! It's no insult... I have come to value your opinion BigMike!

Thanks! I'll go ahead and put in the order for my amp and sub.
If you have been lurking as long as you say, then you know I wont EVER get offended or upset. I am doing what I LOVE! Helping others as best I can.

Ya know, I DO have an Orion 225 HCCA amp I am trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I unfortunatly have to shop at only one store I have credit with so I'm stuck with their brands. I kinda want to save my cash for some performance goodies. The guy at the stereo shop told me the components I'm geting will be a good choice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I'll be getting a Kenwood KAC-9152D amp and an Infinity 12D VQ Sub. And like I said earlier, a custom box in the corner. I think the amp puts out 500 watts RMS.

G

·
rated at 1800W (doubt it will ever see that without 14.4V) and the bass knob is pretty cool too! Good choice on the sub, if I remember right, that sub requires a sealed box.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right about the sub. I think it can be mounted to different type boxes just needs the right cubic inches. Not quite sure how that works. Looks like I'll be having to wait on the amp for a payday. The wife used the card to buy Christmas for the family and didn't leave us enough! The amp was only $200 so I can get it later with no problems.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get ready to run that credit line up..........I started out the same way, now I'm at over $5K in stereo stuff alone. But hey, it does sound good and that's all that matters to me.

JET

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Nitrogirl!

Just had to cancell my order for the stereo stuff untill after the new year. Stupid holiday's! I see this as an opportunity to re-think which is more important...stereo or performance upgrades!

G

·
yeah, that holidays line wasnt cutting it. You probably floored the GTO on the way to work and said "stereo? like I will ever turn it on when that LS2 hits 6k"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.