My original 65 GTO headliner looked great until I noticed a stitched seam opening up. I wanted to install 3 point seat belts, so the time was right to rip out the old headliner. Good time to install new soundproof material too. I read many posts and articles saying the “right” way to replace a headliner is to take out the front and rear glass. I did not take the glass out and got the job done by myself. I did mark the original hole location (there are 3) for the rods and numbered each rod to make sure to I didn’t mix them up during reassembly ( all rods are different lengths). After wire wheel brushing off the old adhesive, I dry fitted the rods and held the liner up with spring clips to ensure centering of the liner looked okay. I took this step because I failed to mark driver vs passenger side (or left/right, if you prefer) on each rod. Some folks claim it is necessary. After the test fit, I sprayed 3m adhesive and secured everything with paper spring clips. Front to rear and then side to side. The area above the sail panels was problematic. I carefully cut the liner to relieve the curved shape and pulled the strips down behind the horizontal bar behind the sail panel. When I was satisfied with eliminating most of the wrinkles I sprayed 3M on the bar and used sheet metal screws and washers to keep everything tight (see photos). I have not taken a heat gun to the liner yet, may stop at good enough. Not happy with wrinkles in sail panels I recovered, so I have new ones on order from Ames. Reason for posting is to assert you don’t have to remove the glass to change your headliner. This is a one person job, although if you have not removed the bucket seats I could see a second person being highly desired.
1.5 MB Views: 22
1.6 MB Views: 19