Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought a 06 M6, and I love it. I'm comming up on the first time I need to put gas into it, and am wondering what you guys are running for fuel. Strictly premium, mid grade, or will it run OK on regular? The dealer said I could get away with running regular 2 out of every 3 tanks, with the other tank being premium. What's the call on this?

Also- this stereo sucks. I have a 400w sony head unit from a few years ago and I'm thinking of putting it in. Can the stock speakers handle this, or will the more powerful head kill the speakers?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Use premium only. To get the best performance the LS2 requires premium. You can run regular if you can't afford premium but you will get lass performance and might get lower mileage.

There was a thread on adjusting the stereo settings a while back. I followed it and it was night and day from the factory setting on my car. You might want to try that first.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
new guy

welcome to the heard. as for the gas go's more octane is allways better(not in the rockies) but use what you can aford. but bont let her knock, it's bad all around. the blaupunkt dose sound a bit off, it's weird because I always loved the delco. and blaupunkt makes most delco stereo. have fun with the new ride

·
Registered
273 Posts
GTODUDE said:
thats realllly good for your bearings!!!!!
not bad at all it's a oil, only run it for 10-15 min. had 75000 on it last I knew had 215000 on it, could still be running. was a 305 out of a k5 blazer, went into my 87 buick reagel, then into a truck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fergyflyer said:
There was a thread on adjusting the stereo settings a while back. I followed it and it was night and day from the factory setting on my car. You might want to try that first.

Enjoy!!!
I have done that. It did improve the sound, the the stock stereo in my 02 Monte is still FAR better than this one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
GTODUDE said:
put in diesel
Don't F'ing laugh. I was out riding my Honda Magna...pulled into a Texaco...never have filled up there, and didn't notice that the far right handle was diesel. It certainly does explain the funny look on the cashier's face.

In my defense, there was a very attractive young lady in a workout outfit filling up when I got there :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
Don't F'ing laugh. I was out riding my Honda Magna...pulled into a Texaco...never have filled up there, and didn't notice that the far right handle was diesel. It certainly does explain the funny look on the cashier's face.

In my defense, there was a very attractive young lady in a workout outfit filling up when I got there :lol:
you had to drain the tank,lucky it was a bike.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Napoleon_Tanerite said:
Hey all, I just bought a 06 M6, and I love it. I'm comming up on the first time I need to put gas into it, and am wondering what you guys are running for fuel. Strictly premium, mid grade, or will it run OK on regular? The dealer said I could get away with running regular 2 out of every 3 tanks, with the other tank being premium. What's the call on this?

Also- this stereo sucks. I have a 400w sony head unit from a few years ago and I'm thinking of putting it in. Can the stock speakers handle this, or will the more powerful head kill the speakers?
At first I staggered the tanks, but then I would stand there filling up on 89 octane, start doing the math, and would calculate that it would take less than $2 to just fill up on the good stuff. So for the nearly 9,000 miles I have on my '06 M6, I have mabye 4-6 tanks of '89 and the rest have been 92-93 octane. It really doesn't cost that much more, and besides...detonation is a bad thing.

The sound system is adequate at best...and that's a stretch. Crank up the gain on the sub amp, take a handfull of Oxycontin, and it will sound fine. If you find a good solution for that POS system, please post it here. Some care if the steering wheel controls work, but I don't give a crap. I'll need some real sound in this car.

This is, of course, all back-seat to the GMM Rip-Shifter. I'll buy and install that as soon as I can afford it....the very instant I can afford it ;-)

Gerry

·
Registered
273 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
At first I staggered the tanks, but then I would stand there filling up on 89 octane, start doing the math, and would calculate that it would take less than $2 to just fill up on the good stuff. So for the nearly 9,000 miles I have on my '06 M6, I have mabye 4-6 tanks of '89 and the rest have been 92-93 octane. It really doesn't cost that much more, and besides...detonation is a bad thing.

The sound system is adequate at best...and that's a stretch. Crank up the gain on the sub amp, take a handfull of Oxycontin, and it will sound fine. If you find a good solution for that POS system, please post it here. Some care if the steering wheel controls work, but I don't give a crap. I'll need some real sound in this car.

This is, of course, all back-seat to the GMM Rip-Shifter. I'll buy and install that as soon as I can afford it....the very instant I can afford it ;-)

Gerry
I thought santa was bring that to you, you pissed her off didnt you:rofl: hey there is a cruise set up in utica IL. on the 30th of sep. you sould try to make it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
burnz said:
I thought santa was bring that to you, you pissed her off didnt you:rofl: hey there is a cruise set up in utica IL. on the 30th of sep. you sould try to make it.
In my house, Santa is synonymous to "Finance Committee"...a comittee of one :lol: You can bet that as soon as I can get one and have it installed, it will be done. I love my Goat, but I'd prefer a better shifter.

I will mark that date on the calendar and register the date with the "Planning Committeee" He he. Utica? Hell, I've never even heard of that city :D

Gerry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.