Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,083 Posts
02whitele said:
Hey all,
I'm new here, and have always like GTO's, and it would seem that I will be able to get one in the next 4-5 months. I just don't know which route I want to go with it. Here's some basics about me. I'm 27 years old. The GTO will not be a daily driven car, but rather nice weather and weekends, etc. I like the look of a '66 or '67 GTO coupe, but it's kind of hard to find a decent one in the $20K range. I'm mechanically inclined, but I've never had any experience working on a 40 year old car engine, so I'm not very optimistic about my skills in that area if something were to break on the car. I'm sure I could learn, but there again, I don't want to spend $20K on a "learning experience".
Alternatively, I love the simpleness of an '04 GTO before they put the hood scoops on. I've driven one in 6 speed guise, and I was highly impressed. Of course, my current daily driver/only car is a 2002 Toyota Camry, so clearly, anything is going to be more exciting than that one, but I still like the car.
As I said, the Camry will continue to be my daily driver, as it's got relatively low mileage for a Toyota, and has never given me a hint of trouble.
With that description, would you all recommend a classic GTO, or a newer one that still is covered by a warranty?
As a person that is much older (52) but with what looks like your skillset (mechanically apt, but no engine experience) and owning a '68 Chevelle, I recommend buying the new Goat, not the old.

You're 27, and I assume you're going to have a lot more things to do than work on a car- - - I know I do. Bought my GTO in January. My Chevelle's going up for sale this Spring.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.