Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, as of right now I have a 1990 300zx TT, with just over 16k original miles on it, I love it, I have the basic modds exhaust, intake, race pipes, and down pipes, well The other day I was driving and a Blue GTO pulled up next to me, and revved it up, I almost wet my self, It sounded amazing, he turned so I followed him and we talked, he had a cam exhaust, hi-flow cats, Really cool guy...

Well the point of this story is I am really considering upgrading and getting a 05 GTO, I really like them a lot. I was wondering what all you guys like about them so much, (basically try to sell me one) ..Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
1hotZcar said:
Hey, as of right now I have a 1990 300zx TT, with just over 16k original miles on it, I love it, I have the basic modds exhaust, intake, race pipes, and down pipes, well The other day I was driving and a Blue GTO pulled up next to me, and revved it up, I almost wet my self, It sounded amazing, he turned so I followed him and we talked, he had a cam exhaust, hi-flow cats, Really cool guy...

Well the point of this story is I am really considering upgrading and getting a 05 GTO, I really like them a lot. I was wondering what all you guys like about them so much, (basically try to sell me one) ..Thanks
Go test drive one. It's all you'll need to know. ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree test drive a GTO. However I do love the 300zx, when I was like 19, and in College, there was an older Student maybe 25-28. She had a Silver 1990 300ZX, and she was hot. She took me for a ride. Wow those were the days.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ditto to what they said.
You enter a different world when you drive a GTO compared to what you're driving now. Mind you, I don't hold a grudge against some of the foreign cars like some around here. Your 300zx TT probably isn't a slouch in any way, but the low-end torque from the GTO will positively blow you away. I've had many performance cars over the years, several of which have been supercharged, but nothing matches the low-end grunt of the goat. There's just something SO cool about a car which sounds and takes off like a 60s musclecar.
If you aren't sure you want to buy a new car, DON'T test-drive the GTO. You will be hooked the second you turn the key and the car is sitting there, gently rocking back and forth as the engine roars to life. It's sensory overload...
Smell of the leather mixed with a bit of exhaust...
Feel of the car rocking ever so slightly...
Sound of the big V8 burbling away, just begging you to go out and DRIVE...
Sight of those big hood scoops, looming over the top of your hood, just waiting for some air to be pushed into them at whatever speed you choose to go...
And finally the saliva begins to form in your mouth, just like before your favorite meal as you pull up to the first stoplight and see that whimpy little Mustang (replace with the car of your choice) sitting there, the guy trembling with fear of the whipping he's about to receive, as his girlfriend looks over at you and smiles coyly...
Then you stomp on the go-pedal and in a flash you're gone, leaving only tire smoke and the smell of burned rubber in your wake, with the guy in the Mustang wondering what just happened...
Yep, that's a typical day in the GTO. How could you NOT want one?!? ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
:agree

That brought a tear to my eye...

I've got to go drive mine for a while...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I could go on and on and on about the great things I experience with the GTO. I doubt I could ever put into words the way it really feels to get in and stomp on the loud pedal. The words I wrote above really don't do it full justice.
The GTO may not be the most stylish car in the parking lot, but it accomplishes its job like few other cars that I have driven. I constantly get people asking me "is it as fast as everyone thinks it is?", or "will it REALLY do 200 mph?" and a lot of "will you do a burnout when you leave the parking lot please?" from the younger guys. This car has a difficult to live up to reputation, nearly that of a supercar, but in my opinion, it lives up to that reputation. I have pulled up to Mustangs at stoplights and the guy would refuse to even look over at me. Chances are that I wouldn't have stomped him THAT badly, but it's fairly obvious that he doesn't want to tangle with the GTO. This car is definitely a word-of-mouth and test-drive seller. It's not something you see on the road every day, so it's somewhat mythical in its nature. I had read reviews, visited forums and asked as many questions about the GTO as I could to both non-GTO owners and GTO owners, but NOTHING prepared me for that test drive. I fired it up, and my first impression was "wow, this sounds good", but it wasn't something that totally blew me away, since I've been around and driven a fair number of muscle cars, both past and present. Toodling around town to get out into the country was a fairly interesting experience, the low end torque makes this car a pleasure to drive, especially if it's a 6-speed. The second I got out into the country, on an empty road, I came to a stop, put it into first and stomped on the pedal. The rear tires instantly lit up through first, second and well into 3rd...and in an instant I was up to 80mph, I shifted into 4th and the car was still pulling so hard that i doubt I could have lifted my back off of the seat if I had to. I looked down as 120 mph came and went and decided I'd better slow down a bit before I lift off and go into orbit. I put it into 5th and just listened to the engine as it winded down...I was hooked, there was no going back to test drive any other cars, I'd found precisely what I wanted. I got back to the dealer and told 'em to write it up and I drove home an hour later in the most fun car I have ever had.
No matter how bad my day is going, getting behind the wheel of the goat always makes me feel better. This is a driver's car. It performs nearly flawlessly on the curvy roads of the old Ozark Mountains as it does on the flat, straight, open highways of the desert southwest as you fly along without a care in the world.
I took this car from here in Missouri to Vegas at the end of February of this year, and I got 25 miles per gallon over the trip, which is fairly good for a car with this large of an engine. Even dragging along at 60mph, the RPMs are at a slothlike 1550, yet you have enough torque to climb a mountain without shifting down. It's a sheer joy to drive in every respect. If you DON'T have fun in this car, there's something wrong with you.
When it comes to "bang for the buck", you simply CANNOT get something better than the GTO. 400 Horsepower and 400 ft/lb of torque, great interior, superb ride and handling, room for 4 normal-sized adults and corvette-like performance for $33k...how can you top that??? :cheers

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll (3rd? 4th?) the idea of taking one out for a test drive--but only if you are reasonably serious about potentially purchasing one.

The 300ZX TT in its last body style (don't know what gen it was, but the roundish one like the 1990 is) was always I car I really liked. At the time it was newish, however, there was no way I could have afforded one, being just out of high school and working crap jobs. Neither could my friends, so I never actually rode in/drove one.

If you have an original low milage 300ZX, that is rather unique and worth some bucks. You will have to consider how much you like it. The GTO is unique on the road, but at this point in time the Z will be fairly unique too, so if that matters, it will be similar between them.

The 300ZX would get you good money if you did decide to sell it and get the GTO (assuming you don't want to hang onto it).

I've never owned a turbo vehicle, but I've often heard horror stories of grief from turbo cars.. how the turbo can die at 100k miles, and are expensive to replace, yadda yadda.

The GTO would be a rather different beast. It should sit a bit higher, low end torque will probably be better, and you don't have to wait for the turbo to spool up (that's something that usually annoys me personally on turbo cars, though the ones I've ridden in and driven may have been worse offenders). Gas mileage will be comparable. The GTO is heavier, but not so much heavier that it would require a major change in driving.

The GTO is somewhat of a stealth vehicle. You don't see many 300ZX on the road, but when people see them, they assume it is quick. The GTO throws people off--some people totally ignore it, others mistake it for a Cavalier or Grand Am, etc. (Don't let that turn you off--the GTO is much higher quality than Grand Ams and Cavaliers). Being stealth is rather cool IMO.

Drive it and let us know what you think. :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Generally, the twin turbo systems have much less lag than a single, large turbo. Sometimes, they aren't even a "twin" at all, they're set up as one small turbo which is set to produce boost at low-RPM and one large turbo to make big hp/tq on the high end. I'm not sure if the 300zx is a true "twin" turbo system or not, since I'm not that familiar with those cars.
Either way, the GTO will be tons of fun. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
:agree

I swear! It's like an epiphany reading your descriptions! You have captured the essence perfectly!

Jim M

'06 Manual, 18", Phantom Black

·
Registered
700 Posts
If I had more time I probably could have done better. I swear, I could write an entire novel about my experiences with this car already. It's not just "a car" to me anymore, it's more like a member of the family. hehe

·
Registered
20 Posts

I come from a 1997 Eclipse Turbo, and really loved the car as I had it for 8 1/2 years (still do...for the week) - so I know how the Turbo cars are.
I have also driven many Vettes, SRT-8, Mom has a 3000 GT-VR4 ('98), had a 5.0 ('86) I loved that car in High school, and she let me take it from time to time (dates, etc.) - I also recently drove a '05 911 with 452 HP.

Allow me to quote, please:

Ditto to what they said.
You enter a different world when you drive a GTO compared to what you're driving now.
I fired it up, and my first impression was "wow, this sounds good", but it wasn't something that totally blew me away, since I've been around and driven a fair number of muscle cars, both past and present. Toodling around town to get out into the country was a fairly interesting experience, the low end torque makes this car a pleasure to drive, especially if it's a 6-speed. The second I got out into the country, on an empty road, I came to a stop, put it into first and stomped on the pedal. The rear tires instantly lit up through first, second and well into 3rd...and in an instant I was up to 80mph, I shifted into 4th and the car was still pulling so hard that i doubt I could have lifted my back off of the seat if I had to....
- I backed off for the sake of the future buyer of this car...RELUCTANTLY.

I have owned Muscle Bikes ('86 Honda V-65 Magna...for one), and the thrill of this Goat will never fade...never.
Absolutely NOTHING can compare to the huge pushrod V-8 that this car is festooned with. - ****, that IS the car...besides a beautiful, comfortable interior that will make all Pontiac buyers say WTF ?, as they look at the interiors of their new G6, or Solistice (plastic crap everywhere).

If you aren't sure you want to buy a new car, DON'T test-drive the GTO. You will be hooked the second you turn the key and the car is sitting there, gently rocking back and forth as the engine roars to life. It's sensory overload...
This happened to me, and I signed today - Cyclone Grey, 6MT, Black for $32,130 out the door with an extended warranty.

I can hardly wait...

·
Registered
201 Posts
baron iv you nailed it Its not just a car its an attitude a statement a personality it seems like Im cheating on my wife when Im with my GTO.Well almost I constantly have older people asking Is it really that powerfull?The looks and sound turn heads everywhere I go.It honestly makes me feel 20 years younger.When I am washing the car Im smilling from ear to ear and always thinking what a badass car and if I was a shrink and a person came to me with depression I would perscribe a GTO drive!:cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
Welcome to the community Mike and Speedwrench.

In this car, I've had comments from both men AND women of all ages. The older guys usually want to sit in it, for me to rev the engine a bit, and they want to hear about the performance as well as wanting to look under the hood. The younger guys seem to know a lot more about it in terms of KNOWING it's fast, the most common question from them is "will it really do 200mph" and "will you do a burnout for me real quick?". So it's certainly one of those cars that transcends the generation gap. Some of the older guys tell me of the GTOs they had back in the day, which is always cool...I love to hear about old cars. A couple have said things to the effect of "if I still had my old GTO, I'd sure like to race ya". Does the owner of ANY other car get that?!? I really can't see mustang owners getting that kind of comments...mainly because there's a mustang on every corner. I can't turn around without seeing another one. They're like evil little rabbits, multiplying EVERYWHERE! I live in a small town, I remember the first one that came to town, then the next day there were a half dozen, now there are too many to count.
Buying a GTO is buying into a lifestyle. Some might mistake it for an odd-looking cavalier, or "just another pontiac", but a *real* car guy (or girl) will know, INSTANTLY what it is and what those three letters on the front quarterpanels and deck lid mean. They will KNOW not to tangle with you, because you're riding around in something which is mythical in nature...they know it's fast, but they really have no idea HOW fast. They hear the rumble from the exhaust and it reminds them of the first musclecar they saw or heard. If you think back to the first musclecar you saw when you were a kid, it's always a very powerful image. Pontiac did a GREAT job with the exhaust note.
I respect the mustang, Ford did a nice job of capturing the essence of the old and the new. My problem with it is the sheer number of them...like I said earlier, they're EVERYWHERE. There's really nothing special about 'em anymore.
The charger...well, 4 doors was a big mistake in my opinion. The SRT8 version is a step in the right direction though.
Still, neither of them compare to the GTO. I'll agree, the goat may not be the most stylish thing on the road, "flying losenge" has been used to describe it for heaven't sake!! However, GM/HOLDEN got one thing VERY right, the bone-jarring, eyeball-flattening, I-can't-grab-the-$50-on-the-dash, 400 ft/lb of TORQUE! The HP and Torque are PERFECT for this car. The powerband is in the perfect place and it's HUGE. I mean we can always use more horsepower, but they made it comfortable to drive for even the newest driver, yet it still has the oomph that the musclecar guys require. It's fairly civilized in the rain too.
I challenge you to name one other new car which you can purchase for under $35k which will have people both old and young, male and female asking you questions and telling you how cool the car is, yet is exclusive enough that you're not like everyone else on the road, AND can still outrun 90% of the other cars on the road.
Take your time...

No rush for that answer....

Yeah, that's right, THERE IS NO OTHER CAR!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... Well first, the 300zx tt is not a sequential twin turbo, it's a turbo for each bank, unlike the supra or rx7, so yes there is some turbo lag, but it’s minimal. A great feeling on this car is watching the rpm’s go up to around 3500 and the turbo gauge pining followed by tires spinning and your body going into the seat. for being 16 years old she is an amazing car. The first Gen 300zx resembled a firebird/transam/supra/rx7 lol. 90-96 was the second Gen 300 what is what I have. I do love the Z car very much.

Any who, back to the main story, someone I know has a 04 GTO, they gave me permission to take it out and well have some fun, I did...

I'll tell you this, I had a very hard time handing the keys back to him, I loved it, it feels so stable and well made, rides so much better then my Z, the low end power is great, I love V8's Nothing against my Z but wow.. Love it. The torque is great, and throttle response is awesome. I'm still haven a hard time parting with my Z. I Love it so very much. It really being my first nice car also doesn’t help. But I hope by next spring to be a proud owner of a 05-06 GTO. Thanks again, can’t wait to be part of the gang. :cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
The 05-06 throttle response is even better than the 04. That's due to another 50 hp/tq, as well as a drive-by-wire system on the LS2. So, it'll be even BETTER than the one you drove.
I am glad to hear that you drove one and liked it...I was fairly sure that you would...pretty much everyone does. :D
Anyway, good luck with your decision, and if you have any other questions, we'll be happy to answer 'em to the best of our ability here.
Have a great weekend...or what's left of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

First off, thanks for the welcome.

I had a quickie about the break-in procedures:
If I posted this in another area, I'm sorry, but still trying to navigate these forums.

If the car comes with Synth. oil - has the motor not then been broken-in at the factory with regular oil, followed by a change to synthetic ?

I am under the impression that Synth. is too slippery for the piston rings, etc. to wear and mate properly - as Dyno oil or regular is used in that process.
I have also heard that 'Vettes are dogged all to hell as a matter of routine in the factory prior to shipping - for the reason of breaking it in.

I also know that breaking-in means more than just the motor - that we must baby the tranny, and even the suspension for a while (500 Mi.)

Please enlighten me if I am wrong, as I have never owned a Big Fat Gnarrely Pushrod V-8 before. (I come from rice).

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
To the OP, that's good to hear that you were able to testdrive a GTO. And since it seems to have made a significant impression on you, it sounds like it would be worth an upgrade to you.

If you are going to sell your Z, you should be able to get pretty good money on the private market for it (I wouldn't trade in, you'll probably get only a fraction of what it is worth that way).

Keep in mind that since they are no longer taking orders on 06s, they are only manufacturing what was left from previous orders. I heard manufacturing is estimated to finish in June or maybe July. That means that toward the end of this year--and definately next year--it is up in the air as to what the selection will be. Especially if you are looking for a M6, you might consider looking earlier than next spring. Even more so if you are pretty set on a particular color.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I recommend YELLOW JACKET! Great color, garners all the right kind of attention AND it's easy to keep clean. If you find a YJ with the factory 18 wheels and 6-speed, pick it up...not many of 'em made.
Either way, Clueless is right (which means he's NOT clueless...hmm), better get it soon or you'll be stuck with a color you may not want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts