Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guess I should say a little (a lot) about myself...

I love my GTO. I bought it with my own money. I'm a photographer, and I've saved since I was a kid. Anyone else find that the GTO is very solid? You could not shake that car from the outside without help. The inside is so quiet and stable, you don't even know you are sliding until things start going by wrong, and believe me, that has happened.

I drive 23 miles to work every day, along the highway, and almost every other day, someone tries to keep up when I hit the back roads. They start backing off when the road dips a bit, or I get air, either because they have immense body roll (tuned cars, they usually care about suspension last), or they have ground effects that would be ripped to shreds. About the only cars that even attempt it are the WRX STi's that always attempt to race from a roll because they know where their turbo kicks in, but always back off at lights or high speeds.

The new gto does the 0-60 in 4.8. Compare that to the WRX STi's 5.1, and you'll understand how you don't have to "tune" a GTO.
Drag racing is alright, but taking the back roads at 140 without worrying about losing traction is awesome, I can tell you.

I had one with those annoying xenon lights keeping up at a buck twenty on a back road. I hit a small hill in the road that lead to a turn. Got air, everything went quiet, I let off the gas and kept the wheel straight for the turn when I landed. The change in my cupholders "jinked" as the car hit the ground and I pushed it into the turn. Still have yet to see those xenon lights in my mirror.

Didn't know it did so well when I first got it, that's for sure. I was used to doing 35+ over railroad tracks. I hit them at about 20mph my first night and almost got whiplash from high tight the suspension was over the tracks.

Now that I mention it, most people that challenge me are in tuners, I guess because they see the GTO as less muscle looking and mistake it for something else, which is true. It has a back end of one of the new acura's, and when they see the stock 17's, they assume they are modded big ones like I'm a ricer or something.

I had a guy in totally tuned tiburon pull up next to me at one of those two-way left turns on the highway, I had the disadvantage on the right side (left turn, I had more to travel). He had a body kit, exhaust, gauges(so I'm guessing turbo), scoop, wheels, brakes, intake, everything. But with only 170 starting hp, I noticed that even though I had more to turn, I was still right next to him as we took off. I kept in first so that when the road went straight, while he was already in second to get to the speed we were at, I could jam it at high RPM's and show him why not having to shift until 60 mph with 400+ (haven't dyno'd lately and I'm not gonna exagerestimate like most do) ft of torque is something he'd have to dream about.

I actually have a full video of me burning about 30 yards worth of pavement and you can't see the car for the last 15 minutes, but it's on a VHS-C tape and I have no ways to get that to a computer.

picture

Oh, and that isn't a muffler, if you look close, those are just the pipes. So it's not loose, and it's true dual exhaust.

interior

G

·
envymeyo said:
I'm a photographer

you don't even know you are sliding until things start going by wrong, and believe me, that has happened.

Drag racing is alright, but taking the back roads at 140 without worrying about losing traction is awesome, I can tell you.

I had one with those annoying xenon lights keeping up at a buck twenty on a back road. I hit a small hill in the road that lead to a turn. Got air, everything went quiet, I let off the gas and kept the wheel straight for the turn when I landed. The change in my cupholders "jinked" as the car hit the ground and I pushed it into the turn. Still have yet to see those xenon lights in my mirror.

I actually have a full video of me burning about 30 yards worth of pavement and you can't see the car for the last 15 minutes, but it's on a VHS-C tape and I have no ways to get that to a computer.
I am a photo....collector! lol

Lord brutha, keep it safe!!!

Really, if you want to send me your tape, I will convert it, host it, and send the tape back to ya.

G

·
welcome to the forum..
but to be honest .. if you race a STI circuit your GTO will be killed... the WRXs are built for circuit and with the lighter body,4 wheel drive, and better braking .. hes gonna pull away from you real fast...

The only way to combat that is to do heavy suspension mods, heeltoe and learn to Drift the GTO real well... as for myself I can pretty much drive the GTO well around mountain passes.. but I have done nothing to my suspention for fear of losing my warrenty.. but just by not doing this mod ... I can only push the car to its limit as it sits... to exceed its current limits I will have to change the suspention, braces,bushings,steel braided brake lines...

take a look at rhys millins drift GTO ..GTOdrift
Look at the pics of how they built his suspention... its a totally different car because the suspention is totally remaped...

this would basicly be the fastest circuit/drift GTO out there so far...(drag is another story all together.. mike can tell ya about that one) We cant get our cars this good but we can come very close by certain mods...

ATM just got Hawk racing pads, rims/tires...
beware the brake fade.. this is the GTOs biggest fault

·
Registered
31 Posts
running 120-140mph on roads that are not a controlled environment is playing russian roulette with your life and maybe someone else's..........

congrats on the car, sure dont want to see you in the obit's some day.....

G

·
Wolfdogs said:
running 120-140mph on roads that are not a controlled environment is playing russian roulette with your life and maybe someone else's.....
:agree Especially if you dont drive to well ... to each his own... Experienced racers will know a safe zone and safe race times on public roadways... its the idiot kids that watch 2fast2furious then try to take it to the road in their cars that they know little about....during traffic hours...

Abusing the right to drive on public roadways unexperienced, is why political officials label street racing as such a crime... :willy: :party:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.