Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a new ignition system this weekend.

I bought a new Mallory Distributor, New Mallory Coil and a new 6AL ignition box.

Most of what I have seen for installation location is on the firewall just to the left of the of the center of the motor. I have not paid attention to where the coil has been located.

Is there anything to look out for. Anyone have any pictures of this typs of system on theres?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jim :cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
I took a Mallory distributor out of my car. It was a POS. Either I could make it idle and had pre ignition up the wazoo, or I could retard the timing so it wouldn't ping, but then it wouldn't idle. It's still on the shelf here.
When I installed the 6AL I mounted it to a plate, then mounted the plate in between the fender and inner fender so it's hidden. Here's a picture before the fenders got mounted. The plate uses the two inner fender bolts to mount to the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a Mallory distributor out of my car. It was a POS. Either I could make it idle and had pre ignition up the wazoo, or I could retard the timing so it wouldn't ping, but then it wouldn't idle. It's still on the shelf here.
When I installed the 6AL I mounted it to a plate, then mounted the plate in between the fender and inner fender so it's hidden. Here's a picture before the fenders got mounted. The plate uses the two inner fender bolts to mount to the car.

Thanks Rukee for the input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rukee, do you have to remove the fender to access the box? I've never had to replace the box on my Corvette, but I have changed the rev limiter chips a couple of times.
Thanks!
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts