Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New member here and thought I'd start out with our story (Jack [my dad] and me [Mike]). My dad passed away a few weeks ago and I have inherited his 66 GTO.

This car has been in the family since 1990. It was a true barn find. The first photo shows the day we brought the car home. The next 5 photos show the car after the restoration that was completed in the early 90's. The next photo shows the current motor that is in the car. The next shows the original numbers matching motor that is sitting in my garage. The next shows the cracked original numbers matching block. The last photograph attached gives a pretty good description of the car up until 2002.

Something to note is that this car has never been hit and never had rust. It has 100% of the original metal on the car. I think that is pretty rare. I do have the protect-o-plate and the original owner made pretty cool notes regarding maintenance which I also have. I don't have the original build sheet (can't have everything I guess). It's a super cool car and my plan is to return it to it's original glory (with a few minor exceptions). I've been working on cars since I was 15 and have typical skills of a backyard mechanic. ;)

Here is the bad news....

About 15 years ago my dad was pulling the original numbers matching 389 out of the car. He accidentally left a head bolt which attaches the cylinder head to the block but didn't realize it. He then went to pry the cylinder head off the block and while lifting the cylinder head cracked the block (see attached photo). No idea if that can EVER be fixed but we've held onto the block in the hopes that one day it'll be fixed. Any idea if that can ever be fixed?

After that happened he went and bought a 400 block, put it in the car and made it look original. Over time he got a bit bored (as we sometimes do) and decided to put on aftermarket parts (see engine photo), bigger exhaust, disk brakes, 4.10 gears, etc... Fortunately I have all of the parts that were removed most of which are easily re-installed on the car. In my quest to return this to original (as much as possible), I'm going to have some questions so really appreciate that this forum exists. Makes it a lot easier than when I first got into cars. Piecing this stuff together in the early 90's was tough. haha.

Mike

PS - I also own a 1970 Nova SS big block car. I guess you could say we are car guys.

gto1.jpg
gto3.jpg
gto4.jpg
gto5.jpg
gto6.jpg
gto7.jpg
gto10.jpg
gto11.jpg
gto12.jpg
gto13.jpg

Premium Member
Welcome Mike, 馃槈looks like a great ongoing project car
Others will chime in on advice, sorry your dad
has passed , and yes this forum will give you the help you need, the cracked block looks scary馃槱

Registered
Welcome Mike cool car, your Dad would appreciate you staying with. I would forget that block, and keep it for an original ash tray that goes with the car!

It is a real life thing that happens to Cars, a great story and you still have the short block!...Someone may tell you they can weld that up, ask Army he is an expert welder, but I think I would not fool with that.

I would just keep the original parts and drive it with the new and improved parts. It will drive better, yourDad and you put them on to improve it and have fun driving it so do that.

It is a North American original and a hot rod which are both great. A 32 Ford High Boy built in the 1960鈥檚 is usually worth way more than an original untouched 32 Ford.

Drive it to cruise in鈥檚 and enjoy it!

Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
Welcome Mike cool car, your Dad would appreciate you staying with. I would forget that block, and keep it for an original ash tray that goes with the car!

It is a real life thing that happens to Cars, a great story and you still have the short block!...Someone may tell you they can weld that up, ask Army he is an expert welder, but I think I would not fool with that.

I would just keep the original parts and drive it with the new and improved parts. It will drive better, yourDad and you put them on to improve it and have fun driving it so do that.

It is a North American original and a hot rod which are both great. A 32 Ford High Boy built in the 1960鈥檚 is usually worth way more than an original untouched 32 Ford.

Drive it to cruise in鈥檚 and enjoy it!
X2 with Lemans

1 - 4 of 4 Posts