Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking at a 1964 Pontiac GTO convertible that is for sale in my area. I have spoken with the owner and although he doesn't have any documentation that his car is a real GTO, he did tell me that he "had somebody check it out for him" and he is presenting the car as a real GTO. The seller believes the car to be a real GTO.

I have some experience with Fords and Mustangs (I restored a 65 Mustang Fastback 2+2, that I still own), but I know very little about Pontiacs.

Is there any information in the VIN or body tag that would allow me to determine that the car is a real GTO or a built-up Lemans?

Any insights or tips you could provide would be appreciated. I am assuming that the value of this car would be less for a Lemans versus a factory built GTO?

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
In '64, a GTO was a LeMans option(option #382). It is best to send the vin number to PHS Historic Services to verify the GTO option. They can fax it to you if you want a quick turnaround. If it was assembled in Pontiac, MI or Kansas City, MO (on the data plate next to "body", (PON or KC/KAN)you should see a 5N at the bottom of the data plate(5 - Group option, N - GTO).

You are correct, a LeMans has less value than a GTO.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome, hope the purchase works out for you. Even if it isnt a GTO its still a very cool car. If you get it enjoy being in the club. :) Fords arent that different from Pontiacs, especially FE engines. I have a 71 Mustang and a 67 Cougar in addition to the GTOs and Firebirds.

As a side note, I dont enjoy driving down 151 through your town.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Welcome to the right place... Love those 64's. Get the PHS is the best advice we can give YOU!!!!!!! But if you have any questions about the #'s on the GTO ask away, Les

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

I think my next step will be to inspect the vehicle, check the VIN for myself, and come back home and try to authenticate the car as a factory built GTO. If I like what I see, I will pop for the fax back PHS results to confirm the car's status. This car is factory white, with a black interior, AT, and the 389 motor. Not my favorite colors, but I can live with them.

The asking price is $26,999 on craigslist and $29,900 in the local paper. I checked the NADA Classic Car value guide and the asking price seems to be in the ballpark.

151 through Madison is not that bad, is it? Maybe since I have lived here and driven it for 20 years, I don't notice.

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts