Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an '04 GTO, Phantom Black Metallic, with the red leather. I'll be picking it up on Monday 10/25. What can you guys tell me about my new purchase? Anything and everything.

Oh and I traded a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT for the GTO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Leave the traction control on in inclement weather until you are skilled enough to avoid unintended rotation or counter-rotation. Yes, you will spin aimlessly even in third gear if traction is less than optimal. :(
I'm only trying to point out that front drive vs. rear drive can leave you quite surprised, not to mention the large torque and hp differences to the Tiburon can be a wakeup call.
Light them tires up, just take it easy on the low speed corners. :cool :cool :cool

·
Registered
194 Posts
*Very* good advice. It sounds preachy but it's true.

I was ON A 350Z board for two years (287HP RWD 6 Speed) and saw 3 people buy brand new M6's and total them 100% in the first month because they lost it sideways. 2 of them later admitted that they underestimated the power and rear end spinning. The 3rd was an idiot and will never admit to anything being his fault but yes it does happen. 200FWD to 350 RWD is two different animals..

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, but my first car was an '81 vette (no traction control, drove it in the winter in Buffalo with no snow tires), I also had a 2001 BMW 330Ci (RWD, 225hp, had TC though and snow tires). I have also driven a 2001 BMW M-Roadster (RWD, 350hp, TC). I do appreciate the friendly tips, though. This is my first automatic since the '81 vette, so it will take some getting used to. (why can't my wife just drive a manual?)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey bsmcall, where did you go to get your racing stripes and about how much did you pay for them, if you don't mind me asking? I had a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo, that I put racing stripes on myself, but I would rather have these done professionally. Thanks for your help.

djdub

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! If you don’t mind me asking, what dealer did you end up going with, and what kind of deal did you get? I have been kicking the tires of the GTO for a little while, but have been a little gun shy about getting one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neo-GTO said:
Congrats on the purchase! If you don’t mind me asking, what dealer did you end up going with, and what kind of deal did you get? I have been kicking the tires of the GTO for a little while, but have been a little gun shy about getting one.
Don Davis Pontiac/GMC. And i got out of a car with $7700 negative equity. I think the selling price of the GTO was about $28k plus the neg. eq.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts