Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a 66 GTO. The car was my uncles who was tragically killed in another car in a crash in 1969. My grandparents garaged his car and rarely drove the car. I inherited the car and after $100 in parts drive it the 1/2 mile to my house. At the time I was a new father and funds were in short supply to further repair the car so it sat for 15 or so years. The car is now being repaired and restored. At this time the engine is being rehauled and other improvements like front and rear disc brakes. I'm told the 14 inch pontiac gto rims need to at the minimum be upgraded to 15 inch rims. I'm looking for advice on going with the same look of the same rims at 15 inch or going with a different Rim. Can anyone offer advice on what they have done in similar situations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums! You want to make sure that the supplier of the disc brake conversion parts say that they work with 15" rims. Some kits do and some don't. Tell us what kits you are using and maybe someone can relate.
I was told by the man doing the work that 15 was the minimum. He recommends I go with 17 inch on front and 18 inch on back. I'm torn as I would like to keep it close to stock but the disc brakes are safer. I can, I think, find 15 inch rims similar to the 14 that came on it. But obviously I'll be out of luck w/17 and 18. Any ideas if I go over 15 for the look. I will check to make sure 15 works with brakes if I go that route.

·
Registered
729 Posts
15's, 17's, 18's...that's opinion and I'm too old school to go above 16's on these ole muscle cars. And, 16's seem to be going extinct. There are disc brake kits that work with 15's. You just have to do your due diligence and make sure that what you buy will work with the 15's you have in mind. Check out the all aluminum Rally II's that Year One sells. They look fantastic and are very close to the spirit of the old GTO's. The come in 17's, maybe larger...

Other places carry them and you can enlarge your rear tire itself to get a bigger rear look (taller/wider). If they offered them in a smaller diameter... They would have my attention!

·
Registered
1970 Pontiac
144 Posts
I am the owner of a 66 GTO. The car was my uncles who was tragically killed in another car in a crash in 1969. My grandparents garaged his car and rarely drove the car. I inherited the car and after $100 in parts drive it the 1/2 mile to my house. At the time I was a new father and funds were in short supply to further repair the car so it sat for 15 or so years. The car is now being repaired and restored. At this time the engine is being rehauled and other improvements like front and rear disc brakes. I'm told the 14 inch pontiac gto rims need to at the minimum be upgraded to 15 inch rims. I'm looking for advice on going with the same look of the same rims at 15 inch or going with a different Rim. Can anyone offer advice on what they have done in similar situations?
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,839 Posts
I was told by the man doing the work that 15 was the minimum. He recommends I go with 17 inch on front and 18 inch on back. I'm torn as I would like to keep it close to stock but the disc brakes are safer. I can, I think, find 15 inch rims similar to the 14 that came on it. But obviously I'll be out of luck w/17 and 18. Any ideas if I go over 15 for the look. I will check to make sure 15 works with brakes if I go that route.
I agree that you should keep it as close to stock as possible. It sounds to me like the guy is trying to sell you rims.

Just get 15" Pontiac Rally 2's and all of the disc brakes will work.

By the way, you only need to put discs in the front! The rear drums will work great.

·
Administrator
6,719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I myself have a '69, running 15" wheels, with 4-wheel disc brakes. I used a kit from Wilwood to do the conversion. My car was a disc brake car (front only) from the factory, with 14" wheels so don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done. That just means THEY don't know how to do it.

Cheers,
Bear

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
If you keep with factory parts you can run with 14" wheels (67-69 had different Rally IIs for Disc Brakes. All 70 and up 14" wheels fit disc brakes. But 15" wheels as Bear said, will work with a number of aftermarket disc brake kits as well as the factory discs.
If buying factory wheels make sure you get the 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern found on the A bodies. B body cars (Catalina/Bonneville) have the same style wheel but with a 5 x 5" pattern
Unfortunately those Rally I's you have are drum brake only and will not fit a disc brake set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I picked up my new rims and tires for my car. I drove 81 miles from the Atlanta area to Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN. I went with Rallye 1 15/7 rims with BF Goodrich tires. 205/60 on the front and 235/60 on the rear. I looked at the Redline but just couldn't see myself with that tire. Would consider in the future as I'm planning on driving/keeping this car for a long time. All in for $1575 {which I felt was very reasonable) . Thoroughly enjoyed the Coker Auto Museum next door!
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Automotive design

·
Registered
211 Posts
Today I picked up my new rims and tires for my car. I drove 81 miles from the Atlanta area to Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN. I went with Rallye 1 15/7 rims with BF Goodrich tires. 205/60 on the front and 235/60 on the rear. I looked at the Redline but just couldn't see myself with that tire. Would consider in the future as I'm planning on driving/keeping this car for a long time. All in for $1575 {which I felt was very reasonable) . Thoroughly enjoyed the Coker Auto Museum next door! View attachment 156149
nice choice.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Today I picked up my new rims and tires for my car. I drove 81 miles from the Atlanta area to Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN. I went with Rallye 1 15/7 rims with BF Goodrich tires. 205/60 on the front and 235/60 on the rear. I looked at the Redline but just couldn't see myself with that tire. Would consider in the future as I'm planning on driving/keeping this car for a long time. All in for $1575 {which I felt was very reasonable) . Thoroughly enjoyed the Coker Auto Museum next door! View attachment 156149
My spare, but I have thought of the 1's all around ..love them 👍
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Grille

1 - 20 of 20 Posts