Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys whats up. I just joined the forum and have a couple questions. I currently drive a 98 Z28 A4 camaro with 44k miles on it..and ive decided its time for a change. I am really interested in the GTO but ive also been looking at the 03-04 Mustang Cobras. Money is not an issue but i want the best bang for the dollar. All opinions would be helpfull. Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I can't say a lot about the Mustang Cobras as I've never driven one. I hear they are sweet performers, still have room for performance upgrades, but have a somewhat lousy interior, are and usually expensive/hard to find.

I did own an '01 Z28 before I traded it in on the Goat. I miss the hatchback with the fold down rear seat (makes for nice practicality) and it had sportier looks. It also got better gas mileage than the GTO. Oh, and better cupholders. Other than those points, I like my GTO better. The GTO is less of a police magnet, and attracts less attention from people who want to street race (I guess this is a good or bad thing depending on the individual). The GTO also has better seats, a few more features, much more sound dampening, sits up higher, doesn't scrape on bad road grades, a much better quality interior, and doesn't jolt as much on bumps (but it is not boaty-floaty either). Hard to describe, but I like the GTO better overall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What made you decide to go with the goat? and did u have any regrets after it. My biggest problem is that comming from a GM family it should be hands down GTO all the way, but a buddy of mine has a 04snake thats insanely loud and fast as well which has made me think twice about things:confused . I love how the GTO is somewhat of a sleeper out there and i love how it comes with 400horses. However the snake comes with a stock SC! How would a stock GTO run with a stock 04Snake? and does it take much money/work for the goat to be even more badass

·
Registered
455 Posts
My GTO is unmodded and I haven't raced it, but I think a few others have raced a Cobra, and there are plenty of mod-happy folks on these forums. There are SC kits for the GTO if you feel the need, but that would need a good amount of supporting mods too. SC Goats can be pretty quick...someone on these forums has one, but I can't remember who offhand :(

I purchased the GTO for several reasons. For one thing, my 01 Z28 was an emergency purchase (previous car was on its last legs). So, even though I was interested in a Z28/SS, I didn't get one in the config I wanted. I ended up with an A4, no T-Tops, no rear defogger (those are the 3 main things I wanted). I could have lived without the T-Tops, but I really wanted a defogger and stick. There just were not any manual Z28s for sale when I bought mine--except for ones that were quite older and/or higher mileage than what I was looking for. Or V6s.

But the biggest thing ended up being that my Z28 was getting a too-rapidly increasing set of problems. I suspect that it had gotten smashed and then repaired at shop that didn't do the best work.

I don't have any regrets about getting rid of that Z28 for the GTO. Had the Z28 been one that was working properly, with T-tops, stick, and defogger, I probably wouldn't have been in the market for a car in the first place, and therefore would have never test-driven the Goat. I'm fairly conservative with car buying, and try to only buy one as far out in time as I need to.

Both cars have pros and cons. Trying to compare the GTO now, and thinking how it would compare against a Z28 with the options I wanted, is difficult. If the GTO were a hatchback with a fold-down rear seat, I think that would be a super car, and I would have no second thoughts whatsoever. Not that I'm having second thoughts now, considering how flaky my Z28 was, but just to say.

I do think if I could compare a Z28 decked out as I'd like, with the GTO, overall I still favor the GTO. Sure, the Z28 has the hatch. But I like the GTOs slightly higher ride (Austin is very bad about having a driveway that slopes down--and meets a street edge that slopes up again), and better quality feel to everything. I feel the car will hold up for a very long time--whereas with the Z28 I was afraid at first to press the signal/cruise stick too hard as it seemed it might break off. (I used to have an 85 IROC-Z that had a broken cruise/signal stalk. When I got the 01 Z28, I was very dismayed that the stupid stalk was still the same :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome Bro!
Get a GOAT buy a Blower (Maggie,Pro-Charger,Etc.)
Walk on a Cobra all day long even wit thier pully swap.
They had to stick a S/C under the hood becasue they couldn't hang with the SS' and T/A's that were N/A from the Factory

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a previous Mustang GT owner. Owned a '96 Tbird Sport for 8.5 years that I had SuperCharged back in 2000. Sold it last year to an Air Force Firefigher who still has it. I've been driving a 302hp Merc Marauder for the last 4 years and considered supercharging it but no Warranty and limited technical support here in town for a specialty SC. The GTO got my attention since it reminds me a lot of my SC '96 tbird--without the trunk space. But most interesting is 400/400 with three-year warranty. This car is far superior to the Tbird which my wife would seldom drive: "Tbird scares me" was her response and it only had 330hp at most. The GTO is a different story as the wife stole it from me and I now only get custody on the week-ends. The GTO is much more refined than the Mustangs. Thunder from Down Under.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, sounds great. I plan on test driving a fellow GTO member that lives around here. Hes got chambered exhaust and kooks headers that i know of....but thanks for the opinions and if i have any other questions ill ask. thanks again guys

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gto

Get the GTO. Trust me you wont regret it.

Few problems with the cobra, but its still a nice ride. The cobra is a suped up gt with a body kit. I have 2 friends with cobras and both of their rear ends have crapped out more than once. Its allready supercharged but its a crappy supercharger, sounds crappy 2. Plus most people dont know the difference between a v6, GT or a cobra. And in the end, stock on stock, Gto should take the cobra.

And lastly its a ford.... But at least is American.:cool

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only way to find anything out is to take them all for a drive, i test drove an STI, EVO and the GTO, but the GTO won me over, hands down, in all departments, and i only found that out after driving them all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.