Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im picking up my "new" 69 lemans tomorrow. i had a 68 gto 400/4spd when i was 19 but due to reasons beyond my control, i was forced to sell it. now, 25 years later i finally scored a beautiful "almost clone" gto lemans... its 350/400, 323posi with a 10 year old full resto. holly carb and stock engine. i want to complete the cloning and have many questions as i've forgotten so much about the pontiac a-body. right now im like a little kid waiting for christmas, the bank cant open fast enough tomorrow!!!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got her home today!!!!

she drove amazing!!! i knocked on every panel looking for mud and found ZERO!!! sadly, i thought she had the "his and hers" shifter but was wrong. i want the h&h, so... would the h&h be a direct swap for the prndsl or is there a bunch of stuff that needs to be done first?

Registered
1967 400/400
FYI, although super cool at the time, and a requirement in a numbers matching/ period correct resto, there are much, MUCH better shifters now, from Hurst and B&M

Registered
Hi Boomstick,

Nice car - congratulations!

As you鈥檙e probably aware, the Hurst Dual Gate was offered through 68 and then Pontiac went to the slap-stick AT shifter. If the shifter in your car is the same as what they put in the 69 GTO鈥檚, it slaps to the right to upshift. I loved it on my 69.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Boomstick,

Nice car - congratulations!

As you鈥檙e probably aware, the Hurst Dual Gate was offered through 68 and then Pontiac went to the slap-stick AT shifter. If the shifter in your car is the same as what they put in the 69 GTO鈥檚, it slaps to the right to upshift. I loved it on my 69.
its just a knob with a button, pull it back to put in drive, r, p etc... nothing fancy... i kind of want a ratchet shifter but i want it to fit in the console with no modification to the console...

Registered
1967 400/400
Most Hurst shifters should fit well with little to no mods. A Vmatic or Quarterstick is MUCH better than a HH

Registered
Then you are the proud owner of the 69 slap-stick shifter. I鈥檓 not sure of the official Pontiac name for the ratchet shifter function, but if you place it in first gear, then push it to the right in a slapping motion it will shift into second and no further. Same drill for second to drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts