Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
After much lurking and reading through numerous posts here, I decided it was time to join the forum, so allow me to briefly introduce myself...
I'm 41, been a Poncho fan since my best friend pulled into my driveway about 26 years ago with the coolest '66 tripower 4-speed GTO. I've had a number of Lemanses, Tempests, Firebirds and GTO’s, always been partial to the Chief. Currently own a '94 Formula we bought new, and a '67 Lemans/GTO clone, pearl white on red, got a 461 stroker with 670 heads about 75% finished, hope to complete and install it this summer.
I’ve read a LOT about the new GTO recently, both here and elsewhere. I have to admit, I was thoroughly unimpressed by their understated looks the first time I saw them, and really didn’t give it much more thought until recently. For some reason, they seem to have grown on me a lot lately. I test drove one for the first time last week, and was blown away. I’m thinking very seriously about buying it, it’s a Spice Red ’06 M6. Before I do, though, I’ve got some questions…
My Dad is a GM retiree, so I can get the GMS price for the car. Tax, title, destination, etc, total price out the door is $30,600. Is this a fair price?
Next question: reliability. This car would be my daily driver and would likely pile up several miles. Anything I should be concerned about?
Next question: as a daily driver on roughly 75% interstate/25% city and town driving, what kind of realistic gas mileage would I be looking at? I’m not one to lay stripes from every red light, and I treat my vehicles with care and don’t dog it every time I get behind the wheel. This car would be replacing my extended cab Z-71, which I love dearly, but the fuel bill is eating me alive.
Last question: replacement parts and aftermarket availability… Any problems with warranty work or getting OEM replacement parts if needed? I know the GTO’s were slow sellers, and I haven’t found a lot of aftermarket items for them. Will there be more stuff available in the future?
Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any information/advice/recommendations you guys can provide.

Kegbelly

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the Family!:party:
30600 Sounds real good for an 06
I got my 05 for around that price back last August
as for Aftermarket Mods there's alot out there you just have to look!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not bad for an 06, but an 05 can be had for cheaper. No real changes between an 05 and an 06. I would shoot for an 05 for $27000, but the car is great wether you pay 27,000 or 30,000.

Oh yeah. Regarding the fuel bill. I'm getting 12mpg average all the time. Granted I live 5.2 miles from work, and drive fast almost all the time. I have an 04 too, but my MPG according to my computer is 12.1. I've hear of guys getting 19mpg, but I saw 22mpg once on a 230 mile trip to visit relatives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome! From what I have read it seems like most people get very good highway mileage (around 24-25 is possible) but thats assuming its nice smooth cruising and the car just sits in 6th. My daily commute doesnt consist of any "highway" but is 17 miles of rural road. I have a total of 3 stop signs and two turns I need to slow down for... I get 18 mpg average so far and I usually put the car to work when I'm accelerating (unless I'm behind some gray hairs and can't pass).

The car might not be that much lighter on your wallet than the truck...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the herd! :party: If your dad is a GM retiree then yes, you can get the GM employee price...$30,600 sounds about right.

My GTO is my daily driver and I love it! No problems!

Aftermarkets and parts are readily available!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOATGIRL said:
Hey! Welcome to the herd! :party: If your dad is a GM retiree then yes, you can get the GM employee price...$30,600 sounds about right.

My GTO is my daily driver and I love it! No problems!

Aftermarkets and parts are readily available!

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful information. I think I'm closer now to buying the GTO than I was. We're on vacation this week, but next week I'm going to pay another visit to the dealer and see what happens. If I get a good trade-in on the Z-71, maybe I'll be a 'real' member of the club before too long. Thanks again,

Kegbelly

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the gracious welcome! Still debating the GTO purchase... got out and washed/waxed/detailed my Z-71 today with the intentions of driving to the dealer and seeing what kind of trade I could get, but I just can't make myself give up my truck yet. I keep thinking of all the reasons why I actually need a truck pretty often and how I would be in a bind way too often without one. Then I think of all the reasons I want the GTO.... Only other thing I got to trade is my Harley, and I'm not quite ready to give that up either. Decisions, decisions...

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
kegbelly said:
Thanks to all for the gracious welcome! Still debating the GTO purchase... got out and washed/waxed/detailed my Z-71 today with the intentions of driving to the dealer and seeing what kind of trade I could get, but I just can't make myself give up my truck yet. I keep thinking of all the reasons why I actually need a truck pretty often and how I would be in a bind way too often without one. Then I think of all the reasons I want the GTO.... Only other thing I got to trade is my Harley, and I'm not quite ready to give that up either. Decisions, decisions...
If you like power get the goat but don't give up the Harley!!!!!!!! Buy and then come join us!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Spice Red 06 M6....?

You know what my answer's gonna be :D

(btw: I still have my truck :rolleyes:)

:seeya:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robertr2000 said:
Spice Red 06 M6....?

You know what my answer's gonna be :D

(btw: I still have my truck :rolleyes:)

:seeya:
Yeah, I love that color. It looks fast, classy, and upscale all at the same time. If I could keep my truck and still get the GTO believe me I would. Unfortunately my desires and my budget don't always see eye to eye...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In getting back to your original question, I would guess you can average around 20-21 mpg if you don't dog it much at all. If that's good enough in these days of $3/gal. gas, then I say go for it.

I didn't buy mine as a daily driver, so the gas isn't as much an issue for me. You may want to take a look at the SS Impala; 305 HP, and Displacement on Demand. I think they get around 30 on the highway.

I didn't see if Groucho has replied to this thread. He has a very long commute, and uses his Goat for it daily.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
noz34me said:
In getting back to your original question, I would guess you can average around 20-21 mpg if you don't dog it much at all. If that's good enough in these days of $3/gal. gas, then I say go for it.

I didn't buy mine as a daily driver, so the gas isn't as much an issue for me. You may want to take a look at the SS Impala; 305 HP, and Displacement on Demand. I think they get around 30 on the highway.

I didn't see if Groucho has replied to this thread. He has a very long commute, and uses his Goat for it daily.
That's not too bad. I only get about 17 on the freeway in my truck. I would have to use the car as a daily driver. Right now that wouldn't be a big deal because I only live about 12 miles from work. However... I'm changing jobs in a few months, and my commute is going to be anywhere from 35 to 60 miles one way. Common sense tells me I need to be looking at cars like Corollas and Civics, but they don't do anything for me. Just basic transportation that gets you from here to there... no style, no flash, and no fun to drive IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kegbelly,
Every weekend I drive from Akron to Columbus (about 120mi) and average about 25-27mi/gal. That's of course keeping it between 70-80mi/hr in 6th gear. If I want to play, it might drop to 23-25. But I can't be on it for 120miles!! Just my 2cents... The majority of my time is on the highway. I love this car!!:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BBlackGoat05 said:
Kegbelly,
Every weekend I drive from Akron to Columbus (about 120mi) and average about 25-27mi/gal. That's of course keeping it between 70-80mi/hr in 6th gear. If I want to play, it might drop to 23-25. But I can't be on it for 120miles!! Just my 2cents... The majority of my time is on the highway. I love this car!!:D
Wow, that beats the heck out of 17. But it begs the question, is there really that wide of a range in mpg in these cars? I've ready everything from 12-15 mpg highway to your 25-27. I know driving habits significantly affect fuel use, but there seems to be a mighty big spread in what people claim they get on the highway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.