Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, ...just found this GTO site, & registered. Being 54 years old & seeing the resurgence of the GTO has me feeling young again, ..well almost!

:)

Some previous rides of note:

1968 GTO, 1999 trans-am, 2000 WS6 trans-am, ..& as of last april a 2005 GTO (phantom black metallic w/red leather interior M-6sp.) Have made only a muffler swap. (flowmaster delta-flow's)

I believe after a somewhat slow start of the 04' GTO's, ..the few changes & upgrades have increased sales quite a bit of the 05' model year.

Personnally I like the "conservative" look of the GTO, ..& love the build quality, & that 400 net horses really rocks.

Did anybody catch "Motor Trend Magazine's" December issue yet? They pitted the Charger SRT-8 against the GTO in what was called "the power trip". I almost fainted, ...as they actually came out & said the GTO IS faster than the SRT-8 charger w/ the 6.1 hemi, & got 0-60 results for the GTO in 4.7 sec, & a 13.3 sec quarter mile run as opposed to the SRT-8 Charger which hit 0-60 in 5.0, & ran the quarter in 13.5 sec.

MT even gave GTO kudos for having a more compliant ride than the Charger on bumpy roads, & did not find much fault with its other handling capabilities.

For awhile I almost ''thought", Finally a very nice review for GTO until they said, "We found the charger to be more precise, & more refined, & summed up their thoughts by saying; "We found the GTO to be out of place when viewed in context with the charger, ..& when given the option-- The SRT-8 Charger is the best musclecar for the job"!...end their quotes, & my paraphrases!

Price as tested for the GTO= $33,690.00

Price as tested for the SRT-8 Charger= $43,805.00

IMO, ...I find the GTO absolutely gorgeous in its interior, ..& at the very least comparable to the exterior looks of the new Charger.

Does anybody think that there "might" be a slight bias against GTO, ...because there never seems to be a hands down consensus that anybody (car magazines) ever finds GTO a clear cut winner.

As a matter of fact, ..I'm inclined to believe that "some" of these car magazines WANT people to believe that other muscle cars are a little better than they ACTUALLY are, ..while at the same time, they want people to believe that GTO is not as good as it really is?

Am I alone in feeling this way??

G

·
actually, the GTO was slower than the SRT-8 in that article. I have it outside in the car but its too cold to go out and get it. They said that the Charger rockets with its quick shifting auto but the GTO with a manual couldnt match the time.

ya know what? I will go out and get it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
big_mike said:
actually, the GTO was slower than the SRT-8 in that article. I have it outside in the car but its too cold to go out and get it. They said that the Charger rockets with its quick shifting auto but the GTO with a manual couldnt match the time.

ya know what? I will go out and get it.

Dear Big Mike, ..I did NOT see that comment anywhere in this december issue article?? In fact, MT said that objectively, ..The GTO is the quicker of the two, & the POSTED the results!!

I have the story in my hands, ..& I have not even hit on the bottle yet!
:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! I'm the resident Mustang guy. Don't worry, i'm cool about it. :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Camshaft said:
Welcome and congratulations! I'm the resident Mustang guy. Don't worry, i'm cool about it. :lol:

Hi Camshaft, ...I have LOTS of friends who have mustangs. IN fact, ..I'm speculating IF I should purchase that 07' Shelby Mustang when it is due out!

I love that stang' retro look. I'm a bit bugged about WHY Ford thinks it has to supercharge its mustangs though???

I gotta believe that Ford is very capable of getting more bang out of their engines by keeping them naturally aspirated.

Previous OLD ride of long ago: A 1958 Ford hardtop convertable that retracted into the trunk with continetal kit on the back bumper.

I loved that old car, ..I believe it said something like, "interceptor" on the sides of the door!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big_mike said:
Click on here for the Road and Track results:

http://home.comcast.net/~prpl95c4/RoadTrackGTO.jpg

THanks for the link, ..I rought it up on my screen BUT the text is too small for me to read, ..nice pic of the yellow goat doing a burnout. I even tried to increase the text size, ..but it did not work.

I know conditions change when people give cars first drives etc, ..but it just seems that there is never any general concensus among ANY of the car magazines??

Personnally, ..me thinks its to keep the "horsepower wars" alive & kicking, & keep the interest growing.

AS for me..........I love it, & am glad the muscle car era has FINALLY returned! Now, if we could only get that cheap gasoline again!!! ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
tiger gto said:
Hi Camshaft, ...I have LOTS of friends who have mustangs. IN fact, ..I'm speculating IF I should purchase that 07' Shelby Mustang when it is due out!
A guy at my work has one preordered. They look like they're gonna be fast but I agree, I want to see Ford squeeze out a lot of NA horsepower. God knows the modular 4.6 (or *drools* the 5.0 Cammer) can take it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big_mike said:
http://home.comcast.net/~prpl95c4/RoadTrackGTO.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~prpl95c4/MotorTrendGTO.jpg

Both are now available for your viewing pleasure.

Both are 1000x800 resolution so if your browser is set to auto shrink images, just move the mouse over the image and a box will appear in the lower right corner. Click on it and you have the full size image.

Big Mike, ..thank you. I kind of feel like a nit-head now, ..as I did not simply scroll down far enough! (MY bad)

They have the 05' GTO running a 5.2 0-60?? What gives, ..when MT got a 4.7 sec. run??

The quarter mile run is even more ridiculous, ..they have a 13.7 sec. run, ..& MT has a 13.3 second run??

I realize track conditions vary with the weather, ..but I'm not convinced that ALL of the car magazines are as honest & above reproach as they ought to be.

Pontiacs own testing reveals a 13.0 FLAT quarter for an automatic 05' GTO, & 0-60 in 4.6 sec.(no joke...I have the literature, & all GTO's have a stop watch built in). On the 6-speed manuals Pontiac has the GTO running 0-60 in 4.7, & 13.1 in the quarter.

I suppose we can chalk up a bit of favorible bias from pontiac but the numbers between Road & track, & MT seem to be a bit far apart.

I have always believed that there are "some" magazines that want other muscle cars to appear a bit better than what THEY actually are, ..& at the same time WANT the GTO to look NOT quite as good as it REALLY is.

No..no paranoia, or anything like it...it just ''seems" to be by the style of their writing.

I had a 2000 ws6 trans-am manual 6-speed w/ the LS1 engine, & that car was fast as hell. When I test drove the 05' GTO, ..I COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE RIGHT AWAY, it IS FASTER than my ws6 was, & the GTO is even heavier than what my ws6 was!

G

·
dag, had the thought but hit send before I finished.

Road and Track drove the Charger better but the GTO worse
Charger - [email protected] 4.9
GTO - [email protected] 5.2

Motor Trend drove the GTO better but the Charger worse
Charger - [email protected] 5.0
GTO - [email protected] 4.7

Another factor could be weather conditions. I also added in their 0-60 times, which as you can see, are not that far off from one another. They really need to test an auto GTO and you will see the numbers be more consistent.

Happy hour? pssht, man its SLEEPY hour.

·
Registered
356 Posts
big_mike said:
Another factor could be weather conditions. I also added in their 0-60 times, which as you can see, are not that far off from one another. They really need to test an auto GTO and you will see the numbers be more consistent.

Happy hour? pssht, man its SLEEPY hour.
What about elevation? Or are these corrected figures?

G

·
probably not, but they dont mention that in magazine articles. They have to write these things up like any ole schmuck was reading it.

G

·
Welcome ... I noticed you had a TA .... I had a black TransAm 5 speed V8 T-top .. it was hella fun .. I sure miss that car...
TransAms are not so good to Drift with tho... Totaled the car up mountain then gave it away ... :willy: :party:

""Michael Knight eat your heart out""

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.