Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone- I'm Matt and just joined the site a couple of days ago. Question for fellow GTO enthusiasts regarding cooling. I have a 67 GTO, 400 bored & stroked to a 462, factory Quadrajet, intake, heads (heads have been worked on), factory exhaust manifolds, 3.55 rear. etc. Compression is in the mid 9's. Car runs great; however, it loves to run at about 205-210 degrees F on the highway. On cooler days (temps in the 60-70 degree range) she'll run around 185 @ 60 mph. Anything warmer and she shoots to the higher temps. I've had people tell me that's normal, others tell me that's high. I also have the factory radiator and I believe a 180 degree thermostat. I don't want to put an aluminum radiator in it because the engine (and bay) is stock appearing. Any opinions?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
That's pretty much normal and not a concern. If you check out the threads on temps, you'll find that out. You're running a lot of cubes on a stock radiator, and you're not overheating. Stock, these cars can run 205-215 going down the road on a hot day. I've driven these cars since the '70's, and that's pretty normal, especially with a lot of cubes. New cars run at 220-230 as normal operating temp all day long. 200 degrees will not hurt a thing....running 160 will, though. Relax and enjoy your car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts