Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined tonight - trying to determine if the GTO is my C4 replacement. My corvette is a '96 LT-4 Collector edtion that will run 12.90s, but has room only for 2. We now have a little guy in the family and it is time for a change.

1) What are the performace differences between the '04 and '05. I realize there is 50 HP difference, but what are the ET differences?

2) Any drive train strenght difference between an auto and 6-speed? In the vettes, 6-speeds got Dana 44 which is stronger then the D36 in the autos.

3) Anyone have a pic of a GTO WITHOUT the rear deck spoiler?

4) Any previous vette owners here? Any regrets getting rid of the vette if you did?

5) Treat me nice. I am new here. :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know of no differences between the A4 and M6 regarding the drivetrain hardware. The A4s have "torque management" built into the software to minimize wear and tear. Some have posted that they can get in situations where 3/4 throttle leaves more rubber than WOT. Some believe the 05 M6s have TM also.

By the book, the 05 has 50 HP and about 35 pound-feet of torque more than the 04. Depending on the driver, temperature, and A4 vs M4, there are incidences were the 04 times have been as fast or even faster then 05s but this is not the rule. A CAI and long tube headers with a tune is what some say will close the delta between an 04 and an 05. There are more aftermarket items for the 04 and tuning software than for the 05 with its LS2. That will change with time.

The 05 brakes are Corvette C6 brakes and a significant improvement from the 04.

My 04 is san spoiler. I think the lines are cleaner and I can see tailgaters at night easier with it gone. I do feel the spoiler looks better on the 05 and is balanced by the hood scoops.

Because you have asked the question about how the GTO compares to a C4 indicates to me that you have not test driven a GTO yet. The GTO is a very refined automobile that few can compare to. It has power and grace and doesn't beat you up when it performs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ill just throw 3 quick things in.

I would go with the 05 GTO over an 04 if you have the chance.

I would also go with an 05 GTO over a C4 vette. It really is a VERY nice car for the price.

No matter what some other people say, there isn't really any difference between the A4 and the M6 other than one has a clutch and shifter while the other does not. Otherwise they both have the same potential, and the same performance.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I love the 96 LT4. The stealth LT engine that beat up on the LS engine. Cool car.
I went from a C5 Z06 to a GTO. I miss the power of the Z, but driving it right you should be able to equal your C4 times. I have a 12.895 at 109 run. With the heat I'm struggling to get low 13's now.
The GTO will ride tons better than the Vette. The interior of the GTO is worlds ahead of the C4 in fit, finish, and quality. These are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. From what I remember from a friends C4 Z51 it will not handle as well. Braking is about equal. Mostly you will miss the hatch area versus the trunk, but the extra interior space will more than make up for that.
I think the rear in the GTO is a Dana 40 also. The drivetrain is about as durable as the Vette. Some people have halfshaft issues and some get wheel hop which kills the drivetrain real quick.
I think anytime you get rid of a special Vette, like a Collectors edition or a Z06 you have regrets. You don't see GTO's on the street, but when you do there is still the wave between owners. I guess the biggest thing I miss is when people see you pull up in a Vette it sends a statement. Most people don't know what the GTO is so the reaction is more muted. It is nice when people that do know what it is react though, and that makes the reaction more special. I don't think that the C6 is $20,000 better than the GTO, but that isn't a fair comparison. The cars are two different beasts with two different purposes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

You are right, I have not driven one yet. It has taken me a while to take a liking to the exterior design. I have seen several up close and got some time to check out the interior - very impressive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an LT4 before, and now have a Z06 in addition to the GTO. I really love the interior of the GTO and the stealth factor of it. The LT4 was rated at 330 stock wasn't it? The 04 has 20 hp on it, but carries around more weight. The mods you can do with the LS1 are cheap and very effective.

I suggest you try getting in and out of the back seat, trying the motorized seat mechanism before you commit. If you have to use it a lot, I'm pretty sure you will wind up ripping the seat out and tossing it across the parking lot within a month.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah if you're one who may use the back seat a lot, I would wait off for an 06 goat if you can. They're putting faster seat motors in the new ones so you can acess the back faster, instead of standing there for 5 minutes as it moves backwards, then back forwards.

·
Registered
937 Posts
RiceEater said:
Yeah if you're one who may use the back seat a lot, I would wait off for an 06 goat if you can. They're putting faster seat motors in the new ones so you can acess the back faster, instead of standing there for 5 minutes as it moves backwards, then back forwards.
Jeez, I wonder if the rest of us can get the new motors for our seats.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Xman said:
By the book, the 05 has 50 HP and about 35 pound-feet of torque more than the 04.

The GTO is a very refined automobile that few can compare to. It has power and grace and doesn't beat you up when it performs.
My '04 / M6 put down 310 max power stock, which I was happy with. I saw some A4's around 275-285

Now, with cam package, and ex resonators it's a different beast :rofl:

·
Registered
144 Posts
A little money in the motor will make the GTO equal your C4 (in good conditions with a good run, maybe not even that).
You can get really good deals on slightly used '04 GTOs (I did) which coupled with the availability of LS1 parts might be an advantage. '05 come out of the box with almost enough HP, better brakes, and have what I consider an important cosmetic improvement - a true split exhaust ('04 has it, but both are run to one side). I would let the deal you find, '04 or '05, be your guide.

As stated, the GTO is more refined that a C5 and way more than a C4
Here is my spoilerless '04 with an aftermarket exhaust setup.

In the end, you might not have quite as many SIGs as with C4 (this is debatable), but the GTO is a better car overall and more practical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.