Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
21 Posts
Great story, love the stance and the improvements you have made enjoy it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Killer car (especially the stance) and even better story. Welcome.

I bought my GTO with my dad in 1995 as my first car at 15 and did my DL license test in it also! Still has ass prints on the roof from my dumb friends sitting on it! Fought the pressure to sell over the years when money was tight and thankfully still have it due to an awesome wife. I've also been fixing mine up after some neglect over the last year. Great to hear another story like yours.

Hope you enjoy it even more in your retirement!
Very Cool. Glad you hung onto yours. Post some pictures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
View attachment 144163

Hi new member or poster here. Just wanted to introduce myself and stop lurking.

I have a 69 GTO . My parents bought it brand new when my dad got back from Vietnam. Growing up, it was our family car. We took it on family camping trips, they took me to my sports events and I have great memories of my dad taking me drag racing his army buddies just off base.

From my earliest memory, I was always told the car would be mine when I turned 16. Maybe it was a trick to help my dad work on the car or keep it clean, but it worked and they kept their end of the bargain. I learned to drive on the GTO, and I can still remember like it was yesterday, my dad pulling over when I was 13 and asking me if I was ready to drive it. Hell yes!! I was ready. I had sat in the backseat and watched and listened to my dad go thru the gears my entire life. I knew exactly how it was supposed to sound. Now if I'm being completely honest, My coordination of that sound and the actual execution of it weren't quite perfect yet, but it was still AWESOME...

The next three years couldn't go by fast enough. Its funny, my kids were in no hurry to get their license a few years ago.. but back in 1983, getting my license on my 16th birthday was seriously the most important day of my life.....Finally the day came and my pops took me down to take my driving test. I passed, drove my dad home and drove to school a licensed driver.

The GTO and I have been together ever since. Its funny, now I've owned it longer then my parents did. But like sometimes happens, life happens and I eventually put it in the garage and started messing with other car and motorcycle projects. The next thing I know 27 years have gone by and I haven't messed with the car at all. That was till about six months ago. The bug to get the GTO running really started hitting me hard. It was time.

I'm retiring next year, and as it would work out, I'm working the same place I started my career 30 years ago. I used to drive the GTO there to work. I decided I wanted to finish my career by being able to drive the GTO to work my last year. But in the process, I've done a few mods. The car was originally a manual drum brake, non power steering car. Factory AC, with a 4spd and factory 8-track and power antenna. Midnight green/green top and green interior. I wanted the appearance to look basically like it did back in the day, but I added full UMI suspension with coilovers, front and rear disc brakes and a custom box from Lee Manufacturing. Also added a Holley sniper EFI and a new Tremec TKX is going in as we speak. The car was repainted my Junior year in high school and looks pretty good, but there are a few spots I'm gonna have gone over.

So there it is, sorry I've rambled on. Looking forward to hanging out here.
Theres a guy on youtube who has the exact same car his dad bought it after vietnam too. Hes completely rebuilt it and video most all in excellent detail if interested hes Fast Monty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Theres a guy on youtube who has the exact same car his dad bought it after vietnam too. Hes completely rebuilt it and video most all in excellent detail if interested hes Fast Monty
Lol yeah Mike Montanari. Definitely seeing his car was a big motivator in me getting mine running again. We've emailed back and forth a few times, I've been picking his brain about my Tremec install. He actually lives a few hours south of me. Hoping to get pictures of our cars together sometime, I think that would be super cool. Our stories are very similar.

Michael

21 - 24 of 24 Posts