Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry, I also meant to ask, did you use the bolt that came with the pick up, or just use the original bolt on the oil pump? I would rather use the original, but I think the new one is very slightly longer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone else have experience with the Milodon 18425 pick up, and can tell me if it was an actual pressfit, or just a close fit? Also if the supplied washer is intended to be between the pump and the pickup, or just under the bolt head directly? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
No experience with it. But, it may not be a press fit because it bolts to the pump, right? I was just at my local machine shop and I asked the same question about press fit, welding, and pinning the oil pump pick up. The answer was they only really tack welded pickup's on race engines, and some pickup's were slip fit because they bolted down to the oil pump or a bracket. So not all pickups are press fit as I thought.

If the pickup bolts down to the oil pump in some manner, then put the washer under the head of the bolt and use a little Locktite on the bolt as well, even though you will be torquing it down.

I have the Milodon pickup for the deeper pan. I don't have a deeper pan as of yet, but plan on cutting a stock pan and dropping it lower to give me a deep pan.

Don't know what oil pump you have, but I would get the thicker bottom plate from KRE for the Mellings pump. Tin Indian Performance - New High Performance Pontiac Products

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
IMG_20180212_153835.jpg IMG_20180212_151226.jpg IMG_20180212_153808.jpg Yes, I used the BOP 1-piece pan gasket. Even with one of those I still had a rough time getting it to seal over the middle of the rear main cap.

Th Milodon pickup isn't supposed to be a tight press fit. The ear that goes under one of the pump plate bolts holds it secure. I used red Loctite on that bolt on mine for extra insurance when I was running that pickup.

I also used one of these plates:
Pro-oil Pump Plate

However, on my current build I've ditched all that (except for the pan, and even that will get tossed the next time I have the engine out) and have gone with a Luhn pump.
Luhn Performance, Inc.

I don't see them broken out separately on his web site now, but I went with the 80psi pump. I custom ordered it for the depth of the Milodon pan (8" from the pan rail to the bottom of the sump) and it arrived perfect, with a VERY nice screened pickup.

I'm using Paul Spotts's windage tray and crank scraper as well. I had to clearance the tray just a little for the longer pressure spring housing that's used on the 80psi pumps. I also welded two hex nuts on the inside of the tray in order to create a way to secure the lower dipstick tube.

Bear

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, talking to the guys at both Butler, and Milodon, they told me that it definately should be a press fit, even though it is also a bolt on - mostly due to keeping it leak free. Butler says they also weld around the edge just to be safe. Milodon and Butler both said that this is a know manufacturing issue, and they thought they were past it, so I had to ship it back to Milodon, they will send a new one. This one was very loose, like if I hold the pump upside down, it will fall out. Milodon did say it is not as tight a press as a stock pickup though (again, beacuse of the bolt). Ed

·
Registered
99 Posts
...and... Here's what the inside of my previous oil pump looked like after running for 5 years with the Milodon pick-up.

View attachment 133386 View attachment 133387 View attachment 133388 View attachment 133389
Ok Bear, thank you. I have been told by a few people, including my machineist that the Melling M54D-S was the pump to use, even in high preformance applications. They said its solid as a rock, and that losses were very low, so thats what I have (I was ok with the reasonable price too!). I also have a Tomahawk windage tray (I have the tapped holes on #2 and #4 already) so it uses the non bolted dip stick tube. I'm using a Butler Stroker set. I've also purched the one piece gasket (quite an investment!) and the Milodon 30355 pan. My block is machined and sitting in my basement waiting for spring to bring to the garage and put on the stand to start building - heads going in next week for guides, seats, valve job, etc. BUT I had NOT bought the replacment pump bottom - seeing your pictures was scary! I think I'll look into that; I've heard stories about replacing that on the stock pump since I was a kid. Seems Melling would have dealt with that in this pump by now? Thanks Bear and Jim!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My other concern, just thinking out loud, is even with my old pick up it barely fit to the screw hole. I wonder if adding .125" to the cover will make it not work at all? I guess I'll find out! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ordered from Nitemare. Hopefully my bolts will be fine with the little bit of added thickness. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
Ordered from Nitemare. Hopefully my bolts will be fine with the little bit of added thickness. Thanks guys.
You don't have to reuse the same bolts. You can always get some grade-8 that are just a little longer, as long as they don't bottom out in the threaded holes.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
You don't have to reuse the same bolts. You can always get some grade-8 that are just a little longer, as long as they don't bottom out in the threaded holes.
The pump plate from KRE/Tin Indian included the longer bolts. Nitrmare Performance is another good source, and should include the bolts. I have purchased items from Nitemare and Darrin the owner will answer emails. If no bolts with the plate, just email him and he will tell you what you need. I plan on visiting Darrin and his shop on my next vacation trip to Rhode Island to see family as his shop is right on my way up. (y)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts