Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony M610 head unit lying around from back when I was in high school. I THINK it still works, and am wondering if it would work in the GTO. Would the stock speakers be able to handle it, or would I tear up the speakers and need to replace those too?

here are the features copied/pasted off a website:

Features

* Active Black Panel (ABP)
* 5-Color dot matrix display
* Spectrum analyzer display
* CD/MD/TV control
* Custom File display
* CD Text display
* 1-Bit D/A converter
* CD-R playback
* SSIR-EXA Adaptive reception tuner
* Station Memo titles
* 52 x 4 high power
* D-Bass with auto level adjust
* Front, rear, and sub preamp outputs
* Hi/Lo-pass filter
* Telephone attenuate input
* Multi-language display (Eng/Fr/Sp)
* Included wireless handheld remote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
GTO judge said:
When I was in High School.... The In thing was 8-tracks.... cassettes were not as popular.....

A CD? WTF is that? And Cell phones???? what ya talkin about???
gimmie a CB one with 40 channels.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Lol, thats exactly what i was thinking. You want an old system you need to check out the system in my 67 Jeep CJ-5. It has an am/fm radio, 1 speaker, and a 40 channel cb. Thats a stereo system. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Napoleon_Tanerite said:
I have a Sony M610 head unit lying around from back when I was in high school. I THINK it still works, and am wondering if it would work in the GTO. Would the stock speakers be able to handle it, or would I tear up the speakers and need to replace those too?

here are the features copied/pasted off a website:

Features

* Active Black Panel (ABP)
* 5-Color dot matrix display
* Spectrum analyzer display
* CD/MD/TV control
* Custom File display
* CD Text display
* 1-Bit D/A converter
* CD-R playback
* SSIR-EXA Adaptive reception tuner
* Station Memo titles
* 52 x 4 high power
* D-Bass with auto level adjust
* Front, rear, and sub preamp outputs
* Hi/Lo-pass filter
* Telephone attenuate input
* Multi-language display (Eng/Fr/Sp)
* Included wireless handheld remote

You might need this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
GTO judge said:
When I was in High School.... The In thing was 8-tracks.... cassettes were not as popular.....

A CD? WTF is that? And Cell phones???? what ya talkin about???
gimmie a CB one with 40 channels.
I thought CB's only had 23 channels? :) Im only 35!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
GTO judge said:
When I was in High School.... The In thing was 8-tracks.... cassettes were not as popular.....

A CD? WTF is that? And Cell phones???? what ya talkin about???
gimmie a CB one with 40 channels.
Ha...back in my day, we didn't have those wussy solid state CBs. We had real CBs with crystals, tubes, power mics, and black boxes :willy: If you didn't take out the neighbor's TV reception when you keyed the mic, you didn't really have a CB :lol:

I wish I had a dollar for every 8-track I threw out.

Gerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Napoleon_Tanerite said:
Would the stock speakers be able to handle it, or would I tear up the speakers and need to replace those too?
To answer your question, yes the speakers will be able to handle them. I did the same thing a few years ago with my other car which is a Dodge. I replaced the head unit with a Sony CDX-M8805X which has the same power output as yours. Just don't turn it so far up that you would blow any aftermarket speaker. We don't have cheap little speakers in our GTOs, not that I'm saying they're top of the line or anything, but I'm positive that they'll be able to handle it. I'm sure that your sound quality will get a lot better too with a stereo replacement. Our's send way too much distortion at higher volumes.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
Those were the Days

flyer469 said:
I thought CB's only had 23 channels? :) Im only 35!
40 channel CB's came out after the 23 channels. With the 23 channels you had to add crystals to get extended channels.

Power mics... those were the days LOL.... Man we used to piss people off, keying them up...... Cars with 6' whips... Cops pulling everyone over checking to see if the rear ends were too high... making guys let air out of their rear air shocks. Tire dealers couldn't keep L-60's in stock....

We used to ride what was called " The Loop".... all "motor heads" used to go around town, burnin rubber....drag racing from light to light.... Every muscle car made could be seen there.... Looking back at it now...... that was motor car heaven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wish you'd asked me yesterday. i just ordered one. only $17+ shipping, so not too bad. i'm hoping to modify it to hold my starmate and hide all the wires. Has anyone been behind the stereo on the GTO? Is there a good place to hard wire in the Sirius power cord?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top