Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
I am new to the site and a new GTO owner and I have a question for the group. The car I just picked up I had the PHS documentation done and it all came back as a correct numbers matching car with 61,000 original miles on it . My question is on the rarity of it. The car is a Cameo ivory white a white convertible top and parchment interior. or triple white as they say. Is this common or an unusual combination ? The car is a 389 4 barrel power glide. I had hopes of changing it to a tri power 4 spd car but do not want to change it if it is something rare. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations on the car! I too have a 66 and did quite a bit of research before and after the purchase. IMHO, I think it depends on your long-term aim for the car- keep it and drive it or flip it. True #s matching and low miles drives up the price but if you want to keep it and drive it with a retrofitted tripower/4 spd setup you should go for it.

If you check values on places like Hemmings, you might get a better idea of what it could potentially be worth and if that value is worth keeping a configuration you don't necessarily want. As with all of these condition is everything. Factory 4 spd with tri-power are the highest value for the collector market so if that is what you want to do, I think you add value for resale in the future but maybe not for the collector purist looking for all original but even with that, the market has not really caught fire on these cars. No significant spike in prices make it hard to see who values what.

Query Mecum, Barrett-Jackson and other auction sites for a historical search of actual sales to see what is valued.

I have tried to find the production #s on my car was well and after almost 2 years I still haven't found it. The big #s are easy (convertible, hard top, post etc.) but anything more than that is challenging. If you do find a location that has that level of detail, I'd like to know!

·
Registered
440 Posts
bsimril is right. Lots of places to scour for pricing info. I've seen the rarity question asked many times. I've owned my '67 coupe for almost 23 years. I've never seen another GTO that didn't have a console. So for me I'd like to know how many didn't have one. But I also have p/s, p/b, a/c, and a tinted windshield. One possibility would be to ask the GTOAA to compile the info on the cars that belong to members. They send me a renewal form each year where I fill out the bare details of my car. Maybe they could expand the details and then at least we could see how many rare cars are out there. Or crowd fund a project to run the PHS build sheets through an OCR and put the results in a spread sheet. Otherwise, I think we'll just have to keep wondering.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just googled the Super Turbine 300. Wow pretty cool transmission never knew it existed. Thanks for the info .......That's why I joined this forum I learn something new everyday !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts