Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new 06 m6 metalic black. It's been great so far. However, tonight after driving it home I heard a ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. It quiets down when your on the throttle and is most obvious when in neutral.
I didn't have time to try much anything else.

What should I look for when I pop the hood tommorow?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Got a new 06 m6 metalic black. It's been great so far. However, tonight after driving it home I heard a ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. It quiets down when your on the throttle and is most obvious when in neutral.

How many miles do you have on it, and how have you driven it? I wouln't worry about it much if it is new.

(Check the oil level first)

The injectors tick on this car a lot. If I pull into a drive-through, I hear a lot of ticking...pull off to the side, raise the hood, and it sounds like a quiet LS2 rumble. Can't explain the amplication of the ticking sound myself.

The true test is in the car...does it accelerate smooth & strong? If so then there's probably no problem.

Gerry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oil level is 1.5-2 hash squares from being below low. I shoulda but I didn't check oil level when I bought it. It only has 200 miles on it. Should I stick a quart in?

Anyways, the ticking noise did not seem as loud this morning. I opened the hood and listened while it was running. I can hear a ticking noise from both sides of the engine. I would assume that is the fuel injectors?? Are there situations where their noise would be louder?

As far as how it drives it feels great. I have only ran it through gears 1-2 hard once and it was last night. I granny shifted it and didnt just stomp the gas. I am waiting for several more hundred miles and an oil change before really whipping my goat into a frenzy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hum strange, just rechecked the oil after it has been sitting for 5 hours. Its showing full oil. Anyways, Im probably just being paranoid about my new baby.
I keep an eye on it at the pump, and make the final call when it has been in the garage for a couple hours. It's always better to be at the bottom of those hash marks than to be way above.

Gerry

·
Registered
123 Posts

Mine is very noisy with the AC on. Could that be what you are hearing? Turn the AC off and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many miles do you have on it, and how have you driven it? I wouln't worry about it much if it is new.

(Check the oil level first)

The injectors tick on this car a lot. If I pull into a drive-through, I hear a lot of ticking...pull off to the side, raise the hood, and it sounds like a quiet LS2 rumble. Can't explain the amplication of the ticking sound myself.

The true test is in the car...does it accelerate smooth & strong? If so then there's probably no problem.

Gerry

:agree

Just as in the LS1 in my C5, the LS2 has very noisy injectors. Also, if tick seems more prononunced on the driver's side when the clutch is in, it may be the throw out bearing, which is a normal sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.