Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/girls! I just bought my GTO this past Saturday, it's "Torrid Red" with the black interior, white racing stripes across the top with the GTO logo on the hood, and automatic. I know the automatic is lame, but I have to drive through Pittsburgh traffic everyday for work and it's either coffee in the morning or the stick shift...brain says coffee wins, unfortunately. Anyway, I have never owned a car that's even close to this one in performance, although I love cars in general and you can't imagine how joyful I am to have this thing now. I read alot of car magazines and have read about this car for the past year or so and everytime I saw it, I thought, "Yay, a fast Grand Am...whee!!!" and wrote it off as yet another stupid GM move. I was always a fan of American cars till about the mid-90's when it became perfectly clear to me that they are generally poorly built and tacky looking. So I have mostly been driving German cars and didn't think I would ever own another GM or American car again.

Like I said, I read the magazines and was well aware of how much car experts just love the GTO. I still didn't pay much attention. But then, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I saw one in person for the first time in a dealers lot, from my car along the road and I couldn't believe how fantastic it looked! None of the pictures I had seen truly did it any justice, it was so tight...streamlined...I don't know how to describe it, basically "German" I guess. So my interest was peaked and started doing some research on it and kept loving it more, test drove it on Saturday...and drove it right home!

I say anyone who says, "Meh, it's a souped-up Grand Am" hasn't actually looked at it in person. They DEFINITELY have not seen the interior, sat in a seat, or even just closed the door with it's satisfyingly-european "thunk". Once you see it up close, sit inside it, and hear and feel that engine, you will never see it as anything but a "GTO" from that point on. It's too bad there just aren't that many on the road, most have yet to really see one.

Ok, so a question. Like I said, I have never owned a car this fast and have never really had anything to race with at a stoplight...not that I haven't, just haven't had anything serious. So what is the proper way to take off? Should traction control be off so the wheels don't spin or is the wheel-spinning a desired effect to maximize your speed? I know this is a retarded question, but I just dont' know. :) Do I just put the pedal through the floor and hope for the best, do I ease into it, or hold the brake and rev up and let it go? I'd love any pointers for this.

This is a great forum so far, thanks to the board owner for doint a great job!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome to the elite "club" of real owners!

Oh you definitely want that traction control off! See my "How EMBARASSED" post elsewhere here. But don't be so apologetic about the automatic. It's only a tick slower than the stick, and like you, being in an urban area (read high traffic) the automatic is just a way of not be sadistic to my left leg.

---Larry

·
Registered
49 Posts
with traction off you want to hold the brake with your left leg and rev up that baby to like 2500 rpm then simultaneously let off the brake and floor it you might get some spin but you should definitely haul down the street. if your not comfortable with that yet and your next to some guy put your left foot on the brake and when the light turns grrn release your left foot and just floor it . EITHER WAY JUST HOLD ON LO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys, I might try those methods out later tonight when no one is around. I read your thread about embarrasment, Larry, don't want that to happen to me. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, I would like some pointers on the same thing with the 6-speed. I have never raced one before and was pathetic at the drags last weekend.
Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey blue just dont be nervous shifting from 1-2-3-4 is simple just listen to your revs i believe shifting would be around 5500-6000 rpm but im not sure i have an auto so someone with a stick should help you there. COMING OFF THE LINE IS THE WHOLE THING!!!!!!!!!! if you blow it there your done . your going to have to walk it off then gun it and that my friend takes nothing but hours of practice. and hopefully not a new clutch lol .you dont want to spin like a nut . have you watched the video on here of the 11.50 sec run of that guys gto? he walks it off the line i would watch it and study it if i were you . good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stock Auto Launch step by step:

Put the tranny in drive then to 3

stage up

hold the brake and when the light turns green, floor it!

Enjoy your ride down the 1320 :cheers

Stock Manual Launch step by step:

Go past the water box and slowly back in until the tires are barely in it

Do a second gear burnout to get the tires extra sticky

Stage up

Hold the clutch and rev to 2500 rpms

When the light turns green slowly slip the clutch out to minimize wheel spin

Dont forget not to granny shift into 4th, that is the mosst common mistake...
Pretend like you are trying to crush a rock with it... You should have a low 2 second 60'

:cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
Redline said:
Stock Auto Launch step by step:

Put the tranny in drive then to 3

stage up

hold the brake and when the light turns green, floor it!

Enjoy your ride down the 1320 :cheers
I'm curious what putting the xmission into 3 does different than just leaving it in D ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts