Pontiac GTO Forum banner

New owner here

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  kwiktsi 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say hi as a new GTO owner. Just bought an 05 last night and so far, so good. Needs more tire though :). I have a lot of experience with LS based cars and look forward to playing with the LS2!

I have a couple of questions also- I tried to search, but must be using the wrong keywords or something.
1) will my C5 wheels off my 4th gen camaro bolt up/fit? I just had hernia surgery a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I would just see for myself lol.

2) what rear diff is in this thing? Is it similar to the 10 bolts in the 4th gens (center section of course), or is it something else? How well do they hold up to power/traction?

Thanks guys and look forward to being a regular here!
Joe

#5 ·
Welcome to the forums!

I can't answer your technical questions unfortunately.

You mentioned that the car needs more tire.. just to be on the safe side, if you hadn't heard of it, I would advise searching this forum for "strut rub". It is a problem you should watch out for, that happens to some people with wider tires on this car (even the 245 default 17" tires).

Also, hopefully the depreciation won't be so bad on these cars, since this is their last year, at least in this incarnation. I noticed one time doing an eBay search that the GTO's eBay value seemed to be higher than an 05/06 G35, but I haven't been checking regularly (just when I was researching prior to buying).

#6 ·
Thanks for the info clueless- both about resale value and the strut rub. I know a friend of mine mentioned something about it. I think he also mentioned something about something breaking with the struts and there was an updated bracket or something? He is a complete moron, so I only believe 10% of what he says, so take it with a grain of salt if I am wrong :). Thanks again.
Joe

#7 ·
kwiktsi said:
Thanks for the info clueless- both about resale value and the strut rub. I know a friend of mine mentioned something about it. I think he also mentioned something about something breaking with the struts and there was an updated bracket or something? He is a complete moron, so I only believe 10% of what he says, so take it with a grain of salt if I am wrong :). Thanks again.
Joe
I don't believe it's a strut problem; the problem lies witht the profile of the 17" tires being too wide, hence "strut rub". Haven't noticed it on mine yet, but I only have 1400 miles.

Welcome to the pack!:seeya:

#8 ·
What the previous poster wrote is what I've heard. The struts themselves don't have a problem. But 245 or wider tires can possibly rub against the struts, causing premature inside wear that could potentially cause blowouts.

People were writing that adjusting the camber a bit would prevent the problem, but I can't remember the adjustment value off the top of my head. My GTO came with 18" so I don't have to worry about it, but for anyone with 17" or non-stock (wider) tires, its probably something they should be aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.