Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner as of 7/6/05 and i have a question, dose anyone here have overspray on your car, mine seems to have more on the hood and top of the finders as well as the roof, but none on the glass, im just wondering if this is a factory screw up something that could dealer could have done "like left it near the body shop" any ideas on how to remove it with out damaging the paint, i tried waxing thanks for the tips,

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
GTO_400 said:
New owner as of 7/6/05 and i have a question, dose anyone here have overspray on your car, mine seems to have more on the hood and top of the finders as well as the roof, but none on the glass, im just wondering if this is a factory screw up something that could dealer could have done "like left it near the body shop" any ideas on how to remove it with out damaging the paint, i tried waxing thanks for the tips,
First I heard that one.... I'd take it back and let their body shop remove it. A good buffing should remove it. I'd let them make it right.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
GTO_400 said:
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!! I would take it back to the dealership that you purchased it from and see if they will fix it..... if not then ask b_a_betterperson, he's the resident gurru when it comes to detailing cars...... :cheers

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
GTO_400 said:
On the driver's side door, it look more like the clear coat was applied a little too thick in some areas. My neighbor who is a manager of a detail shop at the local dealership said that it can be buffed out with a light polish/wax and a high speed buffer. Also I had a spot on the passenger door that looked like a defect in the paint. Well I took the car to the above mentioned detail shop and my neighbor's son ran a heat gun over the spot and removed it. He said it came from the plastic that the car was wrapped in when it was shipped. A service bulletin was sent to all GM dealerships explaining how to remove the spots.

Also defects in the paint are covered in the warranty. I think it's spelled out on the first few pages of the warranty manual.

Congrats on your new goat and good luck getting the paint repaired :cheers .

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If it was overspray -- it'd be on the windows. I doubt the dealer would go through the trouble of cleaning the windows and leave any residue on the body work.

Sounds like mild oxidation or a mineral build up by having the car sit outside without proper care. If you just used a wax, then you just waxed over the problem instead of removing it.

Try removing all the wax from the car then polish the clearcoat. I like using P&S Remove All Solvent to strip (some folks like clay bars), Klasse All In One to polish (best stuff around -- one coat looks as good as 50 applications of Zaino -- sorry Zainoheads), then Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze to seal. Do everything by hand.

If this does not work, then you've got an issue with the clearcoat. Before turning it over to the dealer and have their body shop monkeys destroy your new car -- take it to a very high end detail shop and get their take.

Find out who's good by calling a dealer who sells NEW Ferraris or Bentleys and ask them who they use to detail their cars. Who knows? You might get off by scratching them a small check to do a surface buff -- and have a great looking car when they're done. The one thing you don't want to have happen is somebody power buffing all the way through your clearcoat -- which is why I mention the Ferrari thing -- because those guys have to be really, really careful.

If this isn't oxidation or other type of problem with the SURFACE of the clearcoat, then you've got a problem where the clearcoat has been botched all the way down to the paint (doubt this is the case) and some serious work is in order.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.