Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey gang, small update for you. I've had some spare time and started working on the GTO. I've pulled the motor out and tore it down and found these wonderful orange colors everywhere. I'm guessing the intake valve was open in a few spots to let in mother nature over all the years it sat. :grin2:

On a better note, The engine bay itself was surprisingly clean for a car of its age.

I'll keep you updated as I progress.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I haven't updated this in a while but I've been plugging away on the GTO in my spare time.

I pulled the front clip off so I could strip and paint the engine compartment.

I then got some epoxy on the inner fenders, core support and firewall. I also cleaned up the inside floor and got some paint on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose Eastwood's chop top silver for the color on the GTO. So far I've got the engine compartment and interior (dash and inside doors) completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more pics of the engine compartment somewhat assembled again and doors and jambs painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was your engine ok? looks like the head gasket maybe it blew.
I have not dropped the block off at the machine shop yet, but it appears to be salvageable. The damage was caused from not having the hood installed on the car. He had a car cover on it, but it wasn't exactly a waterproof cover so rain went down a carb and found it's way through an open intake valve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess you are lucky it only got one cylinder. My 64 LeMans had a 69 400 that was left with no heads for years. It was so rusted I could not break any thing loose. The heads were Ram air 3 and they were left in the trunk with no rear glass. I live in Florida which rains a lot, it filled the trunk with water and soaked the heads. I thought they were a lost cause so I gave them away to a guy. he said they cleaned up but I never saw them. Your car is so clean. I wish mine was better. Thanks... Bud...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey gang, I had a great weekend and got lots done. I painted and cleared my inner trunk lid and jamb then bolted the lid back on the car. I then attacked the underside of the hood which was in bad shape, but it was no match for my new media blaster setup. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey gang, I got the car sealed up in epoxy and high build primer yesterday and I'm hoping someone can answer a question.

What is everyone doing with this strange body line on the rear quarter?

At first I thought it was creased, but after looking at replacement quarter pictures I can see the line. When I look at 64-65 on the internet I don't really even notice this body line at all. Is everyone eliminating it? I do think it's rather odd and out of place.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts