Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a screw in my tire the other day and it was too far on the outside of the tread to be repaired so I had to bite the bullet and buy a new tire. :willy: I still had about 50% tread left! Well, my question is this: the replaced tire was the driver's rear. Now that I have twice as much tread as the other tires, would it affect my rearend clutches at all? I do know that on some cars with posi rearend, if you put a donut back there, you can wear out your diff clutches in as little as 20 miles. Would the 1/4"-3/8", or so, added tread on the tire affect this????

·
Registered
364 Posts
HoldenGTO said:
Would the 1/4"-3/8", or so, added tread on the tire affect this????
The OEM tire 245/45-17 have a diameter of 25.7 inches. If your new tire is say 25.7" and the old one is 25.5" in diameter, that is a difference of about 1%. That is 1% of rotational difference that your differential must overcome, so yes, it will put some extra wear on the clutch pack. How much? I'm not sure, but will be some.

Personally, I won't switch out tires one at a time for this reason. I think the advice to move the tire is a good one. I'd take both the fronts and move them to the rear as they are likely the same, and move the two rears to the front. :cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.