Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to forum: GTO vs. SRT-8 Charger

Hey everyone, I'm JT from Dallas and I am looking for advice. I am really torn between the GTO and Charger SRT-8. I have driven the GTO several times, both the 05 and the 06 models. I have not not drivent the SRT-8 because the MOPAR Nazis won't allow them off the lots. I do see from other boards that the SRT-8 is full of niggles (missing fuses, overheating etc...). I have driven the stock Dodge Charger RT (5.7l) and the Mustang GT. I have ruled out both of those due to lack of power and handling issues (vague steering in the Charger, not enough ponies in the Stang)
Here is the issue:
I really like the GTO, but it only seats four and I have three kids and a wife. Granted my youngest son is small and would probably fit in the GTO's trunk, but I doubt the local boys in blue would appricate that. The SRT-8 seats 5, but costs 10 grand more (at least) and is quite a bit more thirsty than the GTO. I personally don't think space is an issue as our other car is an Excursion Diesel. My wife on the other hand argues that we need five seats in a pinch as the GTO will be a replacement vehicle/daily driver for me. I guess I am insterested in an honest comparison between the SRT-8 and the GTO. MOPAR guys are SERIOUSLY biased, and it seems as if this board is a bit more level headed. I have read Motortrend's lame comparo between the SRT-8, the GTO and the Shelby, and I also saw that Car and Driver gave the knockout to the GTO when comparing the two. First time I have seen the press actually give the title to the GTO. My only compaint when driving the GTO was the mushy brake pedal, but I attributed this to air in the brake lines. Ok guys, sorry for the long post, fire away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I Have An 05 Gto And My Wife Drives An 05 Magnum Rt. We Have 2 Kids, So I Can Give You My Perspective. Here Is My Unvarnished Truth And Opinion. We Manage With The Goat For Backup Duty, Although It Is A Hassle Getting In And Out Of The Back. Once In The Back, It's Fine. If I Had To Add A Third Child To The Mix, It Would Be Impractical, Plus No Third Seatbelt. The Goat Is Amazing, And It Is A Car For Me, But Fails In The Family Dept If You Have More Than 2 Kids Or A Child In A Car Carrier. Sounds Like You Are At A Time In Your Life When You Either Have The Necessary Cash To Have Your Cake And Eat It Too, Or You Have To Take The Bullet For The Kiddos And Get A Four Door Capable Of Carrying 5 Passengers. And Yes The Stock Brakes Are Lacking On The Goat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
oldgoat said:
Sounds Like You Are At A Time In Your Life When You Either Have The Necessary Cash To Have Your Cake And Eat It Too, Or You Have To Take The Bullet For The Kiddos And Get A Four Door Capable Of Carrying 5 Passengers. And Yes The Stock Brakes Are Lacking On The Goat.
Kids are 6,6 and 8, so no car seats. As I stated in my post, we have a Ford Excursion for those family outings which seats 8 people in comfort. We will be selling my wife's Mazda6 prior to our next vehicle purchase, as the Excursion is paid for and will run "forever" (it's a Diesel). The GTO (or any second car for that matter) would be used by me 95% of the time for my daily commute. One question for you OldGoat: Has the RT been reliable? IMO - I know that GM arguably makes the best V-8 smallblock in the world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If You Are Going To Use The Goat As A Strict Backup Only 5% Of The Time, Then Go For It! I Have Never Been Sorry For Buying The Gto. It Is A Rush To Drive And Own, You Don't See One At Every Corner. The Magnum Rt Has Been Very Reliable. We Have 26,000 Miles On It Without Any Problems. We Get 26-27 Mpg With Strict Highway/interstate Use And About 20 Combined City/hwy. Like Every Other Powerful Car, If You Have A Heavy Foot It Goes Down In A Hurry. We Love The Passenger Room And Cargo Space Of The Magnum.

·
Registered
137 Posts
get what you want or you'll regret...I totally agree...that's why I'm here, traded my accord in for the goat even though the honda was very practicle, trouble free, sprightly for a 4 cyl, and luxorious...i always found myself looking at other cars on the road. If you get the charger, even the srt8, you'll be a mirror image of other guys on the road.....hardly anyone is seen in the gto and it's low profile!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I do see a ton of Chargers, Mustangs and Magnums out there. Especially the Charger SXTs and V6 Mustangs. Not a whole lot of GTOs though, which makes them a whole lot cooler IMHO. I like the stealth factor.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
IMO....If you are looking for a family vehicle, get a mini van. (I HATE MINI VANS)

This car is not a family car. In and out of the back with kids with the seats that are slow will eventually wear on your nerves. Not to mention other qualities of the car that is not tailored to kids. Kids will be kids and with that comes SLOP. That's just the way it is.

If you can make it work.... go for it. My guess is the wife will eventually be kicking you in the a$$ for getting it but driving the car is better than just about any ride at an amusement park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.