Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2004 M6 Gto....Impulse blue....I have had it for over a year now without many problems, but i am now at 75,000 and things seem to be going wayyy wrong. i have been reading the forum the last year, but i figured it was time to get some help......first problem......

I have never had a problem with the ignition or starting of the car.....today i stopped to get gas, came out to start the car, and I got clicks like my battery was dead- but it wasnt.....all my lights and other electrical instruments were working....i cleaned my battery terminals and tried to have it jumped with no luck....finally(since i was 30 miles from home) i had someone push me and tried to push start it......it worked and i drove it home....when i got here, i stopped the car and tried starting it, which it started perfect 5 straight times......i then went inside for an hour, came back out and nothing but clicks again.......any suggestions?

ill make another thread for the other problems....thanks guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2004 M6 Gto....Impulse blue....I have had it for over a year now without many problems, but i am now at 75,000 and things seem to be going wayyy wrong. i have been reading the forum the last year, but i figured it was time to get some help......first problem......

I have never had a problem with the ignition or starting of the car.....today i stopped to get gas, came out to start the car, and I got clicks like my battery was dead- but it wasnt.....all my lights and other electrical instruments were working....i cleaned my battery terminals and tried to have it jumped with no luck....finally(since i was 30 miles from home) i had someone push me and tried to push start it......it worked and i drove it home....when i got here, i stopped the car and tried starting it, which it started perfect 5 straight times......i then went inside for an hour, came back out and nothing but clicks again.......any suggestions?

ill make another thread for the other problems....thanks guys.
Might be your starter

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Replace the battery. I bet you just have a dead cell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i had the battery tested and it was fine, and autozone has some machine they can test my starter without removing it..(not bench testing) and it came back and said my cylanoid wasnt engaging.....so, i go to remove the starter, and get the bolts out, but the damn thing is stuck up under the engine.....the cross member or front axle is stopping me from dropping it out......any suggestions on how to get it out? thanks guys.

also- my ac quit workteing sometime during the winter....the compressor definately is NOT kicking in, and i tried to charge it myself, and could not even get the system to take the freon....after messing with it, i got it to take it, and the meter never even moved....still said it was empty,-if the system was empty would my compressor turn on, or would it not kick on being empty?

Thanks

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
If you don't have any pressure in your AC system the compressor won't engage. Have someone with real gauges check it out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ok, i had the battery tested and it was fine, and autozone has some machine they can test my starter without removing it..(not bench testing) and it came back and said my cylanoid wasnt engaging.....so, i go to remove the starter, and get the bolts out, but the damn thing is stuck up under the engine.....the cross member or front axle is stopping me from dropping it out......any suggestions on how to get it out? thanks guys.

also- my ac quit workteing sometime during the winter....the compressor definately is NOT kicking in, and i tried to charge it myself, and could not even get the system to take the freon....after messing with it, i got it to take it, and the meter never even moved....still said it was empty,-if the system was empty would my compressor turn on, or would it not kick on being empty?

Thanks
Don't try fixing the AC system yourself unless you can afford to replace most of it in the end, and still pay someone to fix it.

If the compressor won't engage, it's most likely because the system is low on freon. You tried adding more yourself, and were unsuccessful. It's time to take it to a professional. Even if you would have been successful in adding freon, it would have leaked out again. You need to fix that leak in order to properly repair it. And then you need to get any moisture that has gotten in there out by pulling a vacuum on it before recharging the system. You need a good set of gauges to monitor what is going on during all this. Unless you have all the equipment to work on them, you will only do more harm than good.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Smack the starter with a hammer while someone cranks it and if it starts time for a starter.
Please, PLEASE, DO NOT do this! That was a trick for starters waaay back in the day. Since the mid '80s GM has been switching over to later permanent magnet field starters, and putting a hammer to it WILL destroy it. These later starters almost never run out of brushes, which is what happened to the old style starter. The hammer trick would dislodge what was left of the brushes and make it start a few more times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts