Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my brothers car until yesterday.
He/We started building this car for him & a 68 Firebird in the mid/late 80's
We did alot of work to this car I couldn't let him sell it, so I just had to buy it.
It needs mostly finish work, & he has almost everything i need in boxes :) including the AC, the car had NEW factory quarters & fenders installed in 1990ish when painted, non ##s car but very solid & strong.
The car just sat in his garage for 9 years he just lost interest….needs a little TLC from sitting also…leaks & drips mostly

Not as beautiful as MANY Goats I have seen posted here but she is mine

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nice car, nothing like keeping it in the family.

Don't worry about how yours looks against others, it's yours just enjoy it!

Post pics and the story as you "refresh" her. Dan

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Nice! I agree, just drive and enjoy.

We have to keep this muscle out on the road where it belongs, not hibernating in the garage for years. Sadly it is a rare site now days to see vintage muscle cars in their natural habitat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys,

You all seem like a friendly bunch here, I lurked a bit until she was MINE.

Its kinda bitter sweet owning her, my brother was nearly in tears when the flatbed showed up to get her.

I WILL have Many questions coming at you pretty quick, as I was an F body guy in the day..…Don't shoot!!!

I could tell you where every bolt went on my 68 Firebird, not so much with the GTO

As this project is going to be a preservation, as I want to drive her :) & not a restoration I am not sure where I should be posting my questions…

She does have #13 heads on her & factory RA 3 exhaust manifolds

ie.. suspension, wheels & tires, Engine ID #s & data plate #'s General BS….

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Welcome, you'll find more similarities than you think from your firebird. I owned a few of them through the years. You have the right idea, these cars are meant to be driven. Love the Honeycomb wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you,

Can anyone please if possible email me a wiring diagram for the Engine compartment dash & cluster?? My FSM is on the way, but I can not wait :)

My Brother & I are alot alike in many ways…. but DETAILS….NOT so much :(

I had Linguini & clams for dinner last night & HIS wiring looks similar…just no clams & I think thats a good thing.

Where does the AC/Heater control get its vacuum??

There is a fitting coming through the firewall but dead ends there.

In my 68 manual it pictures a vacuum can…
Nothing like that here.

I am trying to get all the lights in the dash & the blower motor working
I pulled the heater box out today so I could put in a new heater core in.
I enjoy HEAT in the winter, I cannot EVER remember this car having heat..

I was thinking of changing the honeycombs out…..IDK…

Thanks in advance guys,

Email is
[email protected]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wiring diagrams are in a sticky at the top of the 64-74 Technical Discussions. The first thing you need to do when you get it running is some donuts in your brothers front yard. That'll kill him. I'm not a big fan of the honeycombs either, but I do like them on mid 70's firebirds. Do what makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found them this morning, thanks.

Still need help with the dash controls though :(
FSM is on the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Getting back to former glory :)

Well, I have been up to my ears the last couple months sorting out this car.

I have fallen down a few rabbit holes, luckily I have had enough rope to hang myself, so I used it to climb back out

First order..

Sorting out several electrical gremlins that have been living in this car for 20+ years...Rent free I might ad....

First was the dash wiring, heat & AC system.
Gutted interior.

Dash on living room floor going through the systems

What started out to be hoses & water pump turned out to be just a little more. Due to water in motor for many years the timing cover hose fittings were pretty badly oxidized & unusable...parts hunt..

A little cleaning up & a fresh coat of paint....

:party:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now for the fun stuff...

Completely new suspension, & steering components...Everything!!!

2 black lines are better than ONE

Paint rubbed out & new wheels installed
Here is how she sits now with new suspension & old wheels

:party:

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Looking good indeed. Nice solid floors and decent paint, you've got a great project there.

Pretty intimidating taking the dash out for the first time but it's not too bad actually. I would prefer to do that again to doing bodywork any day.

I always loved the look of the honeycomb wheels and even had a set way back when on a Buick of all things but my gosh are they heavy. I would say the heaviest wheel tire combo I ever had on a car and as good as they looked they actually degraded the handling noticeably. I like the look of the new rims with that sharp blue paint. Especially like the "dog killers" :cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts