Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
just wanted to say hi, I'm about to buy an 05 GTO and wanted to go ahead and introduce myself to my future forum... I just finally took a GTO for a test drive the other day and absolutely fell in love with it, it kicks so much ass!!... Anywho, my last car was a 2006 VW GLI that had misfire problems and was a lemon so VW is giving me my money back. Once that is settled, I will have a GTO in my driveway!! I am probably going to buy a new 05, there are 5 or 6 left in NC but if I cant get the price right or they all sell before I get to them, I will buy a slightly used 05.

I was originally thinking of getting an 06, but the price is just a little out of reach and I had a bad experience with the dealership near my house... I test drove a GTO on their lot, it was nice, Blue with blue interior and 18's, but then I got in an argument with the manager because I was trying to be nice and let him know if he can get ahold of an 05, I would buy it off him but he pretty much called me stupid for not buying an 06, so I simply asked him to drop the price to what 05's are going for and when he didnt, I walked... So now I'm probably going to have to drive 2+ hours to get one, but it is definitely worth it... I have my eyes set on a torrid red with black interior and I cant wait to get her!!

But I have already talked too much and was just trying to introduce myself... by the way what do you guys think the best first mod would be?? I dont think i need to do too much, but I always have to add a few things to the cars I have.

Cant Wait to get my GTO !! :party:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Welcome. First mod? If you're buying an M6, then the first thing I'd do is install a skip shift eliminator from SLP Engineering. Best 30 bucks you'll ever spend.

Other mods I'd look at include installing a short shift kit and changing the brake, transmission and differential fluids to synthetic.

One other thing. Spend some time and clay bar your car from front to rear. Then apply a coat of Klasse All In One. Do it all by hand.

Later on, upgrade the factory wheels and tires and you'll be set for a very long time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b_a_betterperson said:
Welcome. First mod? If you're buying an M6, then the first thing I'd do is install a skip shift eliminator from SLP Engineering. Best 30 bucks you'll ever spend.

Other mods I'd look at include installing a short shift kit and changing the brake, transmission and differential fluids to synthetic.

One other thing. Spend some time and clay bar your car from front to rear. Then apply a coat of Klasse All In One. Do it all by hand.

Later on, upgrade the factory wheels and tires and you'll be set for a very long time.

Thanks for the input... by the way, what is this skip shift I keep hearing about??? and what will a clay bar do for the car??

And one more thing... new intake, worth the money?? I know most intakes improve gas mileage, is this true with this car??

·
Registered
910 Posts
cgvalant said:
Thanks for the input... by the way, what is this skip shift I keep hearing about??? and what will a clay bar do for the car??

And one more thing... new intake, worth the money?? I know most intakes improve gas mileage, is this true with this car??
The clay bar will eliminate the rail dust embedded into the surface of the paint. Follow instructions and you will be fine. I recommend the "Clay Magic" bar.
I own an A4...so I'll leave the Skip Shift question to the M6 people.
Are ya really that concerned with mileage.....? It is a performance car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Clay bar will make you SHINE! Looks like you just sprayed water on the GOAT and she stayed Wet
The Skip Shift Eliminator will get rid of that annoying 1-4 gas saving feature
Intakes run around $200 brand new
Lastly
Welcome to the Family!:party:
Congrats in advance on the GOAT!!!:cheers
Of course you're gunna choose the best color combo! Blue/Blue

·
Registered
455 Posts
For what it's worth, I just picked up my M6 recently, and so far I have only had the skip-shift hit once. It only wants to kick in under certain circumstances, which I'm trying to figure out still! It seems like if you shift from 1->2 either prior to 2k rpm, or if you are pressing down the gas pedal more than just a very light bit, the skip-shift doesn't come on.

Still, if you have the ability to install the skip-shift-eliminator (I'm not sure what all it takes), it would probably be worth it for $30 to avoid the occassions of it coming up.

And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
53 Posts
To all the guys/gals here at the GTOForum I say hi from Houston. After test driveing the GTO I'm just in hog heaven. Looking for one but cant find now. Should have jumped late last year when their were a few available.:confused

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome, I just brought my Blue Baby home from Dallas last weekend and yesterday did the Clay bar which I have done to all my cars. Made a BIG difference. I recommend Zaino Z-6 to lubricate the clay bar and Z-2 pro for a new car. It is my zeal after 30 plus years detailing my cars with most every polish/was product ever made. Point that sold me on Zaino was when the Impala and Marauders got together for a drag meet several years ago. All the 95,96 Impalas were lined up and all morning long the guys had been shining the cars and from the stands one stood out the most. Remember that most of these cars at the time were about 6 or 7 years old. I went over and asked the owners what they used. As usual, most everyone had their own peferences but that one owner that stood out used Zaino. Also, this guy was SERIOUS as he told me he washed his car at night when the wind wasn't blowing, under bright lights, so as to get all the spots and grit off his car before pulling into the Garage and putting on the Polish. If you have met him you would know he was not joking. The next year I took home my first first place award for best of show in my class with the '04 Marauder and Zaino.

·
Registered
455 Posts
MLegere said:
To all the guys/gals here at the GTOForum I say hi from Houston. After test driveing the GTO I'm just in hog heaven. Looking for one but cant find now. Should have jumped late last year when their were a few available.:confused
You should still be able to find one in the Houston area (though I'm not sure about the exact combination of colors/options). I just recently purchased mine, and Houston was an area I was considering going to if I had to--I never called any of the dealerships (ended up finding my goat locally) but the Gmbuypower site was showing plenty in the Houston area.

If you want a stick though, you'll probably want to buy within the next few months, if you are able. The sticks seem to sell out before the autos. Also, you might want to pick a couple of favored colors, so that if the color you want is not available, maybe one of the runners-up are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.