Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo...I traded in my 2005 accord ex sedan 4 cylinder black leather interior, xm 6 disc changer, 5 speed silver w/ 20% tints, 27,000 miles (sharp lookin car) for an '04 GTO Torrid red w/ black leather auto 19,000 miles. I have a few questions.
#1 Did I make a horrible mistake trading in my trusty labrador-like everyday accord for an aussie made muscle car? I lived in australia for 8 months and was very familiar w/ the holden monaro cv8 so I knew what to expect...I loved the sound of the car over there and was enticed by the corvette powerplant. I'm concerned about reliability....I know hondas are bulletproof in almost every way...and I know from experience (had a 91 grand prix) that pontiacs more or less blow in almost every way..but this is no regular pontiac fleet car, right?

#2 paid about 20,000 flat for the 04 w/ 19000 miles on it...basically straight up trade w/ my 05 accord...good deal or no?

#3 is it impossible to move this beast in the snow...or better question would I even want to? I have an 89 ranger 2wd beater to use in the winter months if I desire (possibly december-february) and I live in MA...any suggestions?

#4 all I shopped it against was basically the 350z, and the rx8. The 350z I decided against because part of the reason I got out of my accord was I didn't wanna see mirror image driving by every second. The rx8 was cool and unique...but a little too unique...adding a quart of oil every 2 fillups and requiring premium...and getting crappy gas mileage w/ only 240HP to boot...no thanks. GREAT HANDLING CAR THOUGH btw

and last but not least...anywhere to get nice 17" rims that fit stock size GTO tires online??

·
Registered
455 Posts
The winter driving will need to be addressed by someone up north--however I made a general traction comment in Radioboy's thread that asked the same thing.

As to reliability, the GTO is an above average build quality car. There is one guy on this forum who had an 03 Accord that was a piece of junk. So you can still run into reliability issues, even with an Accord, though perhaps not as often as with some other cars. As long as the Honda is a stick--the reliability rate is rather poor on the automatic, from what I hear and somewhat experienced in a loaner 01 Accord.

The 20k is fairly average--maybe just a tad high for that mileage, but nothing terribly out of whack. Where you live also comes into play, so I think the price is ok.

As you probably know, the Monaro that the GTO is built off of was a mature design--therefore the quirks should have been pretty much worked out of it. Very different than, say, buying the new design Mustang where the quirks have yet to be handled.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Had my 2004 for a year and a half now(27,000 miles) and no real problems.:cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
I live near Worcester MA and I have an '05. I have a '97 Bravada for a winter ride and keep the Goat parked all winter until they clean the salt off the roads. Just my prefference to do so. And while the Accord might have been "bulletproof" now you are driving a Bullet instead.:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I've driven a Mark VIII in the snow and I can imagine the GTO being similar...maybe worse because of the power advantage and lower stance. I'll probably stick with the ranger (even though it's 2wd) during the wintery months. Next year I'll be able to buy my mom's camry off her for a couple grand...it's and 01 and will have around 160,000 miles on...but it's alot better than a rusty old ford ranger for the winter. You guys know anything about the blaupunkt's green face looking...."veiny"? I don't know how to describe it but the display isn't uniform it's splotchy...could I get it replaced under warranty??

·
Registered
141 Posts
As someone who drives the car year round, just get a set of snows. I use Blizzaks. Drives great. Can do all the drifting I want and not ruin a set of tires or draw too much attention to myself. Do a search and you'll see a lot on this.
Deal sounds fair.
Can't imagine driving a 2wd p/u in winter. Had a Dakota for 2 years and at the first hint of slippery weather had to use 4wd otherwise I was sit-n-spin.
Enjoy the car. Its been one of my better car purchases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also recently purchased an 04 GTO. Silver, and manual though, with 14000 miles.

Drives awesome.
Only one thing I can voice is the strut-rub issue the 04s seem to have had, I just ran into the thread a few days after my purchase, and as such I am going to be quite careful on that.

Otherwise I'm loving my car :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Congratulations; did you say if you have an M6 or an A4?

Your fun factor for driving just went way up. Unbelievable balls to the wall feeling when you mash that pedal, and this car is fun to drive just driving along as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I responded about that strut rub on that thread. I just checked mine and, unless they gave me brand new tires w/ my purchase, there are zero signs of abnormal wear. So what is the solution?? Basically go to a 235 tire in the front? I dunno, if I see something I'll probably just bring it to the dealer and flip out until they give me new tires...I'll just keep doing that cuz the one guy had 33,000 miles on his tires when they got bad, so you basically go and complain to the dealer on a yearly basis and get new tires I guess? I bought the car cuz I got rid of my bike and needed some more power. BTW mine is an auto4 and I wanted that too cuz I drive in traffic every day. The car is ballsy or fast...depending on your definition. Cars are powerful, ballsy, top speed...IMHO bikes are what I think of when I think of fast. On my 9,000 dollar motorcycle these are the following "fast cars" I have embarassed: lambo gallardo, zo6 vette, numerous disgusTANGS, s4, porsche 911, etc. Don't get me wrong i LOVE this car and it is a great bang for the buck, but my speed fix's heart is with sportbikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.