Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at driving manual, only learned on my 06 GTO. When backing up, I engage the clutch only halfway so I can back up slowly and not at 10 mph. I do the same when I need to go forward slowly as well. My co-worker told me I will be replacing a clutch soon because of this. Is this true?

I'm really self-taught when it comes to driving manual. Didn't know anyone who owned a car with stick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
it's not going to damage anything if you're not really moving any actual power. Slipping the clutch is something that damages it at higher rpm's than idle. How does your co-worker suggest you drive it? Floor it and drop the clutch regardless of situation?

I'd say you're doing just fine. Just as long as you keep the slippage to a minimum at driving rpm's.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Striker222 said:
I'm new at driving manual, only learned on my 06 GTO. When backing up, I engage the clutch only halfway so I can back up slowly and not at 10 mph. I do the same when I need to go forward slowly as well. My co-worker told me I will be replacing a clutch soon because of this. Is this true?

I'm really self-taught when it comes to driving manual. Didn't know anyone who owned a car with stick.
Tell your co-worker to shut the heck up. You should see me trying to pull my M6 into a single-hole garage door on an incline! :rofl: And I've driven sticks for the better part of 30 years. If that's all it took to burn up a clutch, I'd be investing in clutch manufacturers.

You will get used to using less clutch as conditions warrant, just like me. I did the "no guts no glory" move today, and made it in safely with little clutch. It took two Budweisers to calm me down. :cheers

Gerry

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I drove a truck I can think of many times I had to pull out this way. Once I was going up this steep [email protected]#@# hill and at the top I had to make a sharp left. And if that not bad enough they was a red light at the top which at the time was green. I kept saying I’m gonna make it, I’m gonna make it!! Well I didn’t and there I am with 46k Lbs on a hill stopped at a light . Just trust me ya don’t drop the clutch with that kinda weight. Just keep the RPM low as possible and it’ll be fine! But on the other hand don’t do it for long periods at a time i.e. ridin’ the clutch on a hill to keep from rolling back and not using the break.. This is bad!

·
Registered
388 Posts
GTO_400 said:
But on the other hand don’t do it for long periods at a time i.e. ridin’ the clutch on a hill to keep from rolling back and not using the break.. This is bad!
You are absolutely correct. I'm in neutral at every light no matter what the grade. With a new car, this has resulted in a few 'louder than I wanted' take off's, but it sure beats having an insurance claim. I tried my 4-banger inherited use of the parking break, but have abandonded that pracitce unless I drive to San Francisco.

Gerry

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've always wondered about this half-clutching in the back of my mind, as I find myself doing it as situations warrant (ie, driveways). My very first stick shift car I put 60k on while driving this way (again, only when the situation warranted and always at a crawl speed) and never replaced the clutch or came near to it. Car had over 60k when I sold it on the original clutch, and I pretty much learned to drive a stick in it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
yeah i'm thinking you're just fine. That co-worker of yours must have either heard you wrong, has never driven a stick, or doesn't understand the physics of modern clutches.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do the same thing when backing up... let it out just enough to get it rolling then push it back in, basically letting it coast backward. And I've got over 36k on my stock clutch. Course, there's a box in my garage that contains a new ls7 clutch to be installed soon. :D But that's just cuz of the power I've added over the last few months and I wanna upgrade before I possibly start having problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.