Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just wanted to say hi. I've had my Pulse Red 2004 GTO since last December.

I must say im pretty happy, but on the other hand VERY disappointed.

I've had a lot of problems with the car. Such as:

1) Water Leak inside the car
2) Water getting trapped somewhere within the body.
3) Check engine light came on at least 3 times already
4) Hard shaking when i brake. (they said its not the brakes)
5) Various things breaking. Seats, glove compartment, plastic covers for automatic seats, airbag malfunction, air coolant sensor, etc.
6) And that STUPID shifting into 2nd problem that I have yet to fix on my own, b/c i dont know how.

The water problems have been the worst. I think they finally fixed it after the 3rd time looking at it. Now im waiting on a new carpet for 4+ months since mine stinks like crap.

However I cant complain though. My dad works for general motors, hes a GM at a pontiac/buick/gmc dealer, and i got the car for $211/month with the new Lo-Jack after rebates and a $3000 trade in.

I'm looking to do some small mods to my car, starting off with fixing the shifting problem. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and what else i can do to make it more exciting?

G

·
Since your a manual, the best mod you can do is PRACTICE!

As for the annoying 1-4 skipshift problem, hit up GTODEALER for a CAGS SkipShift Eliminator.

it looks like this:

and here is a simple, basic writeup on it.

To avoid a gas guzzler tax, Chevrolet came up with an innovative (and annoying) gizmo called CAGS. CAGS forces you to shift your manual transmission from first to fourth under light acceleration. It never causes a problem when you're pegging it but is a pain when you forget to mash the throttle to the floor.

Fortunately, there is a simple fix. Many people sell the CAGS eliminator kits. They're simply a little harness that plugs in to where the CAGS solenoid wiring harness would usually go. The harness eliminates error codes being written to the computers log.

To install, just carefully jack up the rear of the car and support it on jack stands. Crawl underneath and locate the CAGS wiring harness on the left side of the transmission. Unplug the harness and install the CAGS eliminator on the end. You should also have a plug to protect the connections of the CAGS solenoid on the transmission. Once everything is secure, wire tie the connector in place and lower the car.

The CAGS light on the dash will still illuminate but the transmission with now do your bidding in all situations. It's easy and well worth the minimal price and effort.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is with the 1-4 skip shift. As long as you have the throttle at more than 21% depressed, it will not engage the skip shift. I guess I am always gunning my GTO so it is not an issue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
I guess I am always gunning my GTO so it is not an issue.
In traffic, city driving, etc...it kicks on. When you're barely moving through the shift box...and need to get on it....it can catch you in a bad area. SLP Skip-Shift is a simple and easy fix. Best $30 I've spent in a while.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only time it bugs me is when I have a grandma driver in front of me that will not takeoff from a stoplight faster than I can walk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QwkRed05GTO said:
I don't know what the big deal is with the 1-4 skip shift. As long as you have the throttle at more than 21% depressed, it will not engage the skip shift. I guess I am always gunning my GTO so it is not an issue.
its a new york traffic issue really. plus i dont wanna gun it until gas dips below 2.70 a gallon here. LOL

G

·
I recommend the CAGs to everyone... its the best thing for a GTO since buttered toast....

""you really wanna be driving around looking at when the shift light comes on??...OR... you wanna be DRIVING around?? ""

PS also when u callin someone out with yer goat, it would be pretty embarressing if you got streched cus you couldnt shift to 2nd/3rd for a few seconds...:willy: :party:

""It dont matter if you win by a inch or a mile ...Winning is winning!!""
corny?? cheesy?? .. but very true...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.