Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,would like to say that I am a true car guy in my 50's.
Need your comments on the following.
I now drive a 2004 Saturn Red Line Vue and have a chance to flip it for a '04 GTO. I owe $23,600 on the Vue, pay $477.00 per month which was a no money down 60 month loan.
I can get the GTO in the high $26's. Now I know I will not get close to my payoff if I trade in the Vue, but with the addition of the coupons and the rebate, it will bridge the gap. The dealer alslo suggested a new lease program which will let me out of the lease 6 to 9 months early to get into a new vehicle which would be in time for the '07 or '08 model. If I trade in the Vue, the amount of the lease would probably be close to what I am paying.
Also this would not cost me any out of pocket expense.
So if you were me, would you consider doing this? I have owed Vettes, Z28's, T/A's etc., and really miss the performance and from what you guys have posted on the forum, sounds like this a great car.
Will it drive in the snow at all with the traction control??? I drive to work twice a week so I may get caught in a storm or two.
Thanks in advance....................... :) :) :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had traction control on my 99 Z-28 that worked great in snow. GTO seems to work better and comes with Comp TA Mud rain and snow performance tires.

Unless you have gotten use to hauling cargo in the Vue, I don't think you are going to miss it at all. Love my new GTO so I've already made the decision you are asking about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i put snow tires on mine. it was fine until i got to my driveway which had not been shoveled yet. i turned my traction control off

·
Registered
141 Posts
SSRoadster,
We had freezing rain and snow here the last two days. The M6 will really step out on you when letting out the clutch(at least the way I drive it does). I'm going the old fashioned route and putting weight in the trunk. After Christmas, if its still this way I'll get Blizzaks. They were great on my Caravan and E420. I have no intention of parking this car, it is great fun on any paved surface.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all of the comments so far, also have been reading about the '05, still have time to figure out if I go for the '04 or maybe wait for the '05. Although the deal is very good for an '04.
Are there any forum dealers here that are willing to take deposit on the '05? The dealer I am working with would rather see me get the '04, so they can delete their invetory.........................................................Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have asked that as a question instead of a comment, Was hoping that there were or are forum dealers on this sight like over on the Corvette forum. Wishful thinking!!!........................ :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife actually drives a 2004 Vue with the 3.5 V6. It does not have the suspension and appearance tweaks like your Redline, but otherwise it is generally the same car. Bottom line is that the GTO is much more refined and its performance is in at totally different class. I would not hesitate to make the swap!

·
Registered
107 Posts
SSRoadster said:
I guess I should have asked that as a question instead of a comment, Was hoping that there were or are forum dealers on this sight like over on the Corvette forum. Wishful thinking!!!........................ :)
I was hoping, too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd be careful believing that you can get out of the lease 6 to 9 months early with no penalty. Loyalty programs do come up from time to time to encourage "early outs", but if I were you and planning on getting out early, I'd like to see that in writing before I sign up.

Otherwise, go for the Goat!

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
SSRoadster,

While reading your story, I almost wondered if I was reading my biography! We owned a 86 Lumina with no intent of buying a new car. The Lumina ran flawless right up until it felt that the water would be more useful in the oil pan. Being that we still owed $3400 on it, we were sorta forced into a new car. Anyway, we went into a new Impala basically at sticker even with my GM discount. As my luck has it, we also bought a lemon. After repeated stays at the dealership, I decided that the car just wasnt going to be around long enough to pay off. I again began looking for something to buy. I came to the conclusion that another truck would be my best money retainer. The wife informed me that I was incorrect. :) She wanted a car and I felt that our best bet was the new GTO for money retention down the road. Again, even with my discount and all the rebates, we payed over sticker because of our inequity. Ive not regretted it for one second. The GTO is bullet proof to the normal owner and will be running well when its payed off. As for comparison to others, Ive owned the 60's big blocks and the newer street machines, I can say this one curls my toes as much as any other. I like the looks, but agree with the others that there could have been a little more done. I think GM tried to hit the original GTO market who are all now in there 50's to 60's and not necessarily wanting the rough riding torque monsters of the past, but still want performance. For the rest of us that like a lil more, its a beautiful palet. Personally, I bought 18" rims and wrapped them in fusion low profiles and installed the MPD hood for that 69 styling que. Run down to the local dealer, ask for the keys, rev one up to 3 grand. Thats all it will take to sign on the dotted line. Hopefully you will do better at missing animals than I. Two weeks after getting it, a deer decided that it might look better with new sheet metal and glass. Its been in the shop 5 weeks now. The outlook isnt that great. They have it all back together, but GM cant seem to supply glass. Hopefully I will be able to get it back soon, get pics and begin playing with the rest of you. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts