Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my father-in-law has a 67 hard top GTO in the barn (yes really). Looks to be in pretty decent shape, no body rust, but I haven't crawled under it yet. It's got about 61k on the odometer 2 volumes of the factory service manual in the trunk. It was driven into the barn about 2 years ago and has sat there since then (w/o being started). Because I'm "the car guy" (jeeps mostly) he's asked me if I'll help him get it ready to sell (which makes me sad, but that's another story entirely). There are a few obvious problems with it.

1) some uphosltery/headliner damage, looks like normal age wear. That and I'm pretty sure a mouse got into some dash insulation/seat cushioning in the last 2 years.
2) the driver's side front tire seems to be too close to the rear of the wheel well. Kinda looks like the tire would be cut by the body (near where the 6.5 liter badge is) during a right turn
3) tail lights aren't attached ... they're in the trunk. Don't know if this means they just need to be screwed back in or if they're shot

All that said, I've got no clue if its worth even half of what he thinks it is "fixed up" or if I'm in way over my head. I'm ok with supension and trim and have some resources for engine/etc but this would definitely be a different beast from relatively modern jeeps.

I neglected to get the whole vin, but here's the data plate... if that helps.

So I guess my question is... should I try? What info do I need to answer the question :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really tough to have an opinion without seeing the whole car. What kind of money is he looking to get out of it?

Bear
I think he has it in his head its worth in the 25k range. I may be wrong, and he maybe deluded.

Hopefully this w/e I can get it out into the sun (and on pavement) so I can get some pictures and crawl under it. Anything in particular other than a crapload of pictures that would be useful?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looks like he's Been watching to much mecum auto auctions. From your description it's in need of a resto. RESTORED it would bring $25k... Of course it would probably cost more than that in parts and labor. A closer ball park figure (sight unseen) would be closer to 10-12k. Orginal everything may help but unless it is a highly optioned original a person can buy a VERY nice car for $25k and drive it away...

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I think he has it in his head its worth in the 25k range. I may be wrong, and he maybe deluded.

Hopefully this w/e I can get it out into the sun (and on pavement) so I can get some pictures and crawl under it. Anything in particular other than a crapload of pictures that would be useful?
As Bear, I think the best place to start would be with a "crap load of pix", as you stated.... Along with what facn8me said.....:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
FWIW, the October, 2011 Old Cars Price Guide shows that a 1967 GTO hardtop in #5 condition (complete, but needing full restoration) has a market value of $6,000. I don't have a more recent issue, but I doubt that value has changed much...

I recently purchased a running 1968 GTO in apparently similar condition (but with worse paint) for $5,000.

If that car has the original engine/transmission and rear axle and if it is a well-optioned car, it might be worth more than that, but I don't see that car (as it sits) being worth anywhere near $10k.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hell yes, do it. Full interior is cheap ($2-4000) engines and drive line are cheap if you just want to drive it. Worry about restoring it when you are old and rich.... ha

·
Registered
14 Posts
and I just got screwed and paid 8k for something in similar condition, no driveline, no rust. I've been looking around CA. basket cases are about 4-6k. Something running is about 9-11k. Show cars are for old dudes with lots of cash.
and converting to a LS2 and other goodies is for dumb youg guys thinking they won't spend lots of cash.. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, but its still hard to tell from those photos. Can you get some full views of the whole car? Also some of the engine compartment?

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
rear side opera/map lights, interesting option. Get it out and clean it up, it will make a big difference. Cleaned, running and driving safely it will be the most valuable, what other options does it have? I have seen worse cars in the 8,500 range, it's worth what you can get someone to pay you for it. Or work out a deal with him and restore it yourself...:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of the reason (excuse?) for the lack of pictures is its up against a wall on the pass side and... well there was a tractor with a flat tire in the way on the other side. Tractor is (probably) moved by now :). With any luck I'm going to try to fire it up this weekend and if I can get it under its own power into the sun I'll wash and take more pictures.

There's no excuse for me not getting engine bay shots, that was just stupidity on my part.

You'd think with this thing only being 15 minutes away I'd be able to do this more rapidly. My plan for the gas in the tank is to siphon out a chunk of it and see what it looks/smells like. If it still resembles gas, then I'm not going to worry about it. If not, then I'll siphon out the rest and "rinse" as best I can with some fresh gas, and then a gallon or so to start it with. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
should be a short length of rubber fuel hose at the rear before the tank, take that off and pump it all out from there, you will probably want to take that and the front rubber lines and replace them if it has been sitting on a dirt floor for a couple of years, they will get small cracks in them and suck air in when pump is under load, cheap insurance while your under there. Put a few gallons of 93 in on top of whats left check and top fluids and fire it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
should be a short length of rubber fuel hose at the rear before the tank, take that off and pump it all out from there, you will probably want to take that and the front rubber lines and replace them if it has been sitting on a dirt floor for a couple of years, they will get small cracks in them and suck air in when pump is under load, cheap insurance while your under there. Put a few gallons of 93 in on top of whats left check and top fluids and fire it up.
It's probably asking a lot, but anyone happen to have pictures? :) I haven't done a whole lot of fuel related stuff.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
the fuel pickup is located right behind the rear end case, off of it you will see a short length of rubber hose connected to the metal line that runs out and down the frame rail. disconnect it where it meets the long metal line, and drain it into an empty gas can. you can jack the rear up and let gravity drain it all out. get some fuel line of the same diameter around 6' and some stainless clamps. Replace the short line after draining and then replace the rubber lines from the firewall to the fuel pump, and from the fuel pump to the carb.

here is pic with tank removed you can see the short piece of rubber line that goes to the fuel pickup nipple when installed

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
if your motor was Re-built before they started shipping us gas cut with camel piss it is probably at 10.5 to 11:1 compression which will be prone to detonation with low grade gasoline. Get used to putting at least 93 in it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts