Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting an older LeMans for a project car and had a couple of questions. For 1966, what specifically were the differences in the models released? I'm wondering about what options made a LeMans a GTO in that year.

The hard part seems to be figuring out what these old cars are worth. I'm looking for any guidance on how to value some of the cars I am looking at. I am specifically interested in doing a restomod so don't need a numbers matching car. I like the 65-66 styling and would love to start with a GTO but wonder what premium I would pay for that vs a regular LeMans.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
66 was the first year the GTO became it's own model instead of being an option package for the lemans. The lemans offered a 6 cylinder and a 326 V8, the GTO came with a 389 V8 with a choice of a 4bbl or a 3X2bbl set up.

Lemans and Tempest can be purchased for 10 to 20 K less than the GTO depending on the condition.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum! There is a 67 Lemans on Ebay in my neck of the woods for $1450. He has a GTO taillight section for it. I guess he wanted to clone it. I think it still has the 326 but not sure. It would be great to either restore or customize it.
The 66 and 67 body styles were the same but the trim and taillights were different. Correct me if I'm wrong guys...but I believe the front bumpers are the same on the lemans and gto but the rear bumpers are different. If going for a 65, that would be a totally different body style. Like 05GTO said, the GTO didn't become it's own model series until 66.

Linda
aka Blondie

If anyone is interested, 05GTO posted a new thread in the southwest region for a GTO fantasy getaway to Vegas in October.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts