Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for some time now and reading up on a lot of things. A lot of great info here. I am currently in the middle of a complete restoration of a 64 GTO. I didn't plan on doing a complete restoration but every time I took something apart I found something else that needed to be fixed. I'm getting ready to buy some aftermarket panels and was wondering who makes the best ones? Fitment, look, etc? Are they all the same? I was thinking Ames but wanted to get some opinions before ordering. I currently need a Trunk floor, floor to quarter piece, wheelhouses, and rear window to trunk panel. That should keep me busy for a while. Thanks in advance for your help. Here are some pics of my adventure so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Great pics.....you should be busy for awhile with this. You certainly have more "ooomph" than I have in my old age to take on a project like this....but when done you have saved a significant car. Best of Luck.

While I have no personal experience with their panels, I have dealt with Ames for years and never had a bad or mis-represented part. I know they no longer stock front noses/bumpers for my '68 GTO because the current bunch of suppliers isn't up to Ames quality. Frustrating for me, but who wants a poorly made, ill-fitting part?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if its "ooomph" or a slight bit of OCD. Either way, I'm in to deep now to stop. I'll probably use Ames because I can go there and pick the stuff up and save on shipping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't plan on doing a complete restoration but every time I took something apart I found something else that needed to be fixed.
the slippery slope is literally unavoidable. nice when a place like Ames is local - you're the 2nd person i know who can drive and pick stuff up from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts