Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I introduced myself a long time ago. Anyway, I've been looking into getting a 65-67 GTO/Le Mans/Tempest. I'm looking for a "midline" project car, not really a base car but I can't afford a top-of-the-line car either. What are the differences between these three cars, and which one would you consider a "midline" car? I've used Wikipedia and tried finding articles to find out info on these cars but they don't have the exact answers I'm looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking. I've always wanted a GTO but it seems like the price for even a project is a lot more money than a Le Mans, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. How good is the parts availability on these cars, and is it expensive? I know for the Firebird I had to drive all over the place to find halfway decent parts, cars up here in MI are hard to find and so they are really expensive.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Being in Wi myself, I know your pain. (rust!) But I`ve found all the parts I need to restore my `65 GTO on the net through several vendors. Year one, the parts place, the paddock are just a few. You want a GTO though, 10-20 years from now the GTO will be worth far more then the LeMans. :cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The cost of restoration would more than likely exceed the value of a Tempest or Lemans, Go with the GTO!

There are only a few parts that are hard to find for the 65-67.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on restoring it myself, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just need a few pointers here and there. I know tons about second gen Firebirds but jumping into a new car will be tricky for me. I'm trying to find the best place to look for a '65-67 car without dealing with the Barrett-Jackson kind of people.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I found my 66 on Craigslist in March and I found the 67 on this forum about a year ago. I know where a triple black 67 GTO is located, the owner died about 6 months ago and the family is wanting to sell it. It has the correct ys engine and the previous owner installed a 4 speed. It will need a complete restoration, all of the car is there and it runs and drives.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am located in Utica, MI. Hard to find any of these cars around here. I pretty much started a full subframe-up resto on the Esprit, but then realized that I was putting too much into a car that was most likely twisted, and the more I tore apart and restored, the more I realized what was wrong with it.
That just means that I'm not afraid to restore a car myself. Just seems more fun, it makes it more of my car, I can make it exactly how I want it, and set it up exactly how I want it so if something goes wrong, it's easier for me to figure out what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts