Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got a 05 impulse blue with blue interior around 4 months ago =)

My first stick car!!! =P I was wondering who can guild me on how to race with this monster of a car!!! I'm getting better at stick but if im racing I dont know at what revs I should shift..Can someone tell me how I could get a good start and at what revs I should shift for all gears!!

G

·
preferably, for a beginner, try shifting when the tach reads 6k. As you get more experience, you will be able to hear what rpm is perfect for that particular gear and the given situation.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
i would go with the shift light update, especially for a NB. you get it programmed to light up at 5,800 or 6,000 or whatever you want.

PS, get a GMM Rip Shifter too. you'll wonder why they didn't make this stock

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
i kinda knew that but especially for a NB spending a few bucks now will be better than trying to "hear" the shift points and over rev the motor. if he's doing 1/4 miles there's enough to think about. street racing's worse. good luck slamming 3rd with the stock shifter too. many an experienced driver has missed it. a word about shifting to 4th with any GTO shifter. if you're "racing" and get excited and go to slam 4th you'll have a tendancy to pull it slightly toward you and hit 2nd. if you don't catch what you've done and dump the clutch you'll be spinning like a top down the road (not to mention bending a pushrod). to prevent that put your hand "backward" (thumb down) on the shifter and pull back. you'll hit 4th every time. free is looking at the tach and granny shifting at 6k.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Redline (6,500rpm on the '05) looks like a good place to shift if you find it neccesary to stay in the engine's power band and you're comfortable with your timing. If you don't have the death grip on the shifter knob, and you practice a little bit, missing a shift can be a blue moon occurence. :cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.