Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have a car I have been thinking about making a offer on but I'm hoping you folks can give insight on what a GTO would be worth. I have this one picture and thats all. I appologize for that. The car seems to all be there and it had very little rust from what I could see. It is a automatic and I don't know what motor it has. I do beleive the car is all origianl and the windows are all good as well as the rims and the interior. It will need the usual brake work and gas tank draining and carb cleaning and other odds and ends to get it drivable. So what would it be worth in driving shape with no real rust issues, and a decent motor and transmission? Thank you for any help and advise.
Johnny

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That depends, does it include all the mystery boxes inside? It truly depends on options, trans etc. Get vin and post more pics if you can. I say anywhere from 3-8k

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Thank you, but what is PHS and what should it say to indicate it's a real GTO?
PHS is the Pontiac Historic Services. They purchased all the original dealer paperwork from pontiac and can provide you with all the cars original paperwork if you provide them with the cars VIN. This will give you all the details about when and where the car was made and what options/engine/trans it had.

Here is a link to their site
PHS Historic Services

Here is a link to show you an example of what they can provide you with
http://www.phs-online.com/1965 GTO Example.htm

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry guys but I was under the impression that you couldn't tell if 64/65's were real GTO's ....only if they were not real GTO's ??

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
LOL, Well if you can tell that it is not a GTO Then that implies that you can tell if it is a GTO. With only 2 options if you know 1 you automatically know the other

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
sorry guys but I was under the impression that you couldn't tell if 64/65's were real GTO's ....only if they were not real GTO's ??
They can be identified either way, but you can't do it just by the VIN or Data Tag on the car. You've got to research the VIN through PHS. They've got the records that will say if the car was originally equipped with the GTO option or not.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Do the 65's stamp the VIN on the engine and transmission? To prove numbers matching original drive train?
I don't think so. That started around 67 I think. I'm not sure if the 65's had the engine sequence number on the top left either. (Jeff? You know?) If they did then that number might also show up on the PHS docs.

Without one or both of those, then the closest you'll be able to come on a 65 is making sure the date codes on the block and heads are "slightly earlier" than the build date of the car, and that the block and heads are "close" to each other.

Bear

·
Registered
75 Posts
LOL, Well if you can tell that it is not a GTO Then that implies that you can tell if it is a GTO. With only 2 options if you know 1 you automatically know the other

not really ..the Tempest /Tempest Custom can't be a GTO .. but a Tempest Le Mans may be a GTO... or may not be .. :willy: ..does that help ..so if the first three numbers are 233/235 (Tempest/Tempest Custom ) than it can't be a GTO .. 237 maybe, maybe not ..thats my understanding of how it works

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
What Bear said, and this: GTO VIN numbers were only on the door sill plate and the left rear frame rail. A partial VIN was stamped on the trans if it was a Muncie 4 speed, not sure of the 3 speeds and automatic cars. There was no VIN on the engine...that started very late in '67. The Engine Unit Number (EUN) is on the protect-0-plate, back cover, if you are lucky enough to have it. I just recently learned it is listed on the PHS docs for '65's, although I haven't looked at my docs yet to verify it. Some '65 GTO's if not all produced at the Kansas City plant have an "N" on the trimplate that is supposed to signify it's a GTO. Other plants, no. With '64 and '65 GTO's, the certain way to verify is to order the PHS papers. I had my '65 for maybe 25 years before I bothered with PHS, because I had the Protect-o-plate which showed that the engine was a WS code 389. Also, in 1982, when I bought mine, nobody was bothering to clone GTO's yet--they were cheap and just used cars. The PHS is the best way for a newbee to be sure.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What Bear said, and this: GTO VIN numbers were only on the door sill plate and the left rear frame rail. A partial VIN was stamped on the trans if it was a Muncie 4 speed, not sure of the 3 speeds and automatic cars. There was no VIN on the engine...that started very late in '67. The Engine Unit Number (EUN) is on the protect-0-plate, back cover, if you are lucky enough to have it. I just recently learned it is listed on the PHS docs for '65's, although I haven't looked at my docs yet to verify it. Some '65 GTO's if not all produced at the Kansas City plant have an "N" on the trimplate that is supposed to signify it's a GTO. Other plants, no. With '64 and '65 GTO's, the certain way to verify is to order the PHS papers. I had my '65 for maybe 25 years before I bothered with PHS, because I had the Protect-o-plate which showed that the engine was a WS code 389. Also, in 1982, when I bought mine, nobody was bothering to clone GTO's yet--they were cheap and just used cars. The PHS is the best way for a newbee to be sure.
Pontiac plant GTO's also have the 5N stamp. These were the only two plants to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts