Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there!
Just got a 69 Lemans that I want to turn into a GTO clone. Not sure where to start. I need to replace the LH fender and hood, then, work on the body. The interior is pretty clean.
I believe the color is the Limelight Green.
One question, was the bumper on all the GTOs the plastic bumper? Where can I get one of these?
I'll keep the stock 350/2 bbl, just going for cosmetics.
Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
gman26 said:
I believe the color is the Limelight Green.
One question, was the bumper on all the GTOs the plastic bumper? Where can I get one of these?
I believe the color you are trying to describe is called April Gold which was the lighter shade of green for that year.

If you have a LeMans, I am suprised that your car did not come with a chrome front bumper. For the lower models of that year, Lemans and Tempest, they put chrome front bumpers standard and I believe the endura front bumper was an option. As for the GTO, they came standard with the endura and the chrome bumper was the optional one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint code is 59, not sure what that is. I believe that paint code for the GTO was Limelight Green.
It does have a chrome bumper, however, I was thinking about going with the endura to give it the GTO look. Can you tell me - is the endura bumper smaller than the chrome one, or does it have different lines?
Has anyone ever painted their chrome bumper to make it look like a GTO?

·
Registered
194 Posts
gman26 said:
The paint code is 59, not sure what that is. I believe that paint code for the GTO was Limelight Green.
It does have a chrome bumper, however, I was thinking about going with the endura to give it the GTO look. Can you tell me - is the endura bumper smaller than the chrome one, or does it have different lines?
Has anyone ever painted their chrome bumper to make it look like a GTO?

If you are transfering from a chrome bumper to a endura bumper, you will more than likely have to change out everything attached to the bumper. The bumper brackets that mount the bumper to the frame are different. The grilles and headlight assemblies are different. The radiator to bumper shroud is different as well. I don't believe however the lower valance panel is different, though.
I have seen one or two of these chrome bumpers painted, but I would just switch everything if you wanted your bumper to match colors with your body.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the physical size and shape of the bumper? Does the contour match the body lines closer with an endura bumper?
Is the only difference the material it's made from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts