Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring my '66 GTO Hardtop. Looks good- 389 bored over to 400, dual gate transmission, etc.
My question is this right now- I bought the car with 14"Appliance wheels. i want to put on some nice looking wheels w/ BF Goodrich RadialL TAs. I was thinking either 16" on rear, 15" on front or just 15" all around. I'd appreciate your comments.
Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
15's will fill up the wheel wells a better than your 14's and if you go with the 16" backs it will give the car a the appearance of a slight rake forward.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's not a great selection of 16" tires on the market. I have 16s on my Corvette, and the biggest drag radial I could get was a 255. I'd go with 15"s on all corners, plenty of nice wide tires available for the rear. If you want to have a rake you can go with a tall rear tire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have P235/60R15 BFG Radial T/A's on my 66 Lemans, mounted on 15x7 Rally II wheels. Those are about as wide a tire as I could fit under the car (darn that Pontiac "Wide Track" idea!) But that size combination looks really good.

Incidentally, I've been working at Michelin Research for 23 years, and Michelin makes BFG tires. The Radial T/A is a great tire for old Pontiacs and old musclecars in general, IMHO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate your replies. I think I'm going to go with the same all the way around, except wider on the rear than on the fronts. My '66 is a beautiful new red (same red as the 2011 camaro), and I have new trim and brightwork. I'm planning on chrome wheels, say American Racing Torq-hrust w/ BF Goodrich Radial TAs.
My questions at this point are...15" or 16", and what width- 7.5 or 8 on rear snd 7s on the front?
I value your comments, and thans in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 66 and I am moving from 14" rims to 15". 14s have 215/7os on the front and 235/60s on the back. Do I need to drop the fronts to 60s?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I believe that a 205/75r14 is very close to a factory size tire. So a 215/70r14 is very close to stock height. It would not be necessary to change to a 60 unless you are wanting to rotate and/ or have wider tires.

15" tires have a lot more options in size. The 14's have gotten very slimpick'n the last few years.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you gonna get rid of those wheels you have now. thats what i had back in the day. it would be cool to have some again. good luck with the new wheel selection. :cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I am running 245 60 R15 backs and 235 60 R15 fronts with stock hgt springs 15x8 wheels and 3.5" backspace and they are about as close as you can get put drag bags in the rear springs running 5psi in them to ease the bounce and rub and make it handle a bit better (less sway and wheel hop)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts