Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Newspaper Advertising

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Reno'sGoat 
Few cars to sell, so why advertise?

The local Pontiac dealers are getting in '05 GTO's a few at a time. Unlike the 04's, the new models are selling pretty quick once they arrive. I think these dealers were disappointed with GTO sales last year. Perhaps as a result, they didn't order many 05's to sit in inventory this year.

The local dealers claim to be getting sticker price (or a little over!) for the 05's. I don't know if they're even trying to get in more GTO's. They appear to prefer selling low volume but at a good mark-up.

A small town dealer placed my order on February 8 for an 05. He finally got a projected build date of April 6 from the assembly plant. That's going to make actual delivery in late May. Not very quick for a "sold order" in my opinion. The dealer had no explanation for the long delay in getting a build date.

It does vary.

I've ordered (rather than bought off the lot) for the last forty years. The quickest delivery I ever got was two weeks. That was from placing the order to picking it up at the dealer. I know I got the particular car I ordered too, and not one from another dealer, because it was kinda wierd. It was a '66 silver/black 442 with a deluxe front bench seat, a.c., wire wheel covers, ps, pb, 3.08 posi, and a H.D. automatic on the column. I think that car was built quickly because sales were much slower than expected and it was just before Christmas.

Last year I ordered a new Yukon the first week of November. It took about 6 weeks. That's the typical duration for me between placing an order and picking it up.

I may be all wet on how orders are handled. I've just assumed that "sold" orders get moved to the front ahead of "dealer stock" orders. However, I've never really grilled somebody in the business to find out how it works. Surely someone in dealer sales can clarify this for the Forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.