Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Newspaper Advertising

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Reno'sGoat 
#1 ·
Is it just where I live or all over that you do not see any adds in the papers for GTO's. We have to large Boston papers, the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald here, and I have yet to see in any pontiac dealers adds that they sell GTO's.
Also, I live about 15 miles north of Boston and I have seen only 2 on the roads in the last 1 1/2 years, 1 last july and 1 yesterday going thru an intersection. They are rare around here, but I feel thats a good thing.
How about elsewhere around the country?

#3 ·
Well, i live on the west coast and its the same here. No ads, and only 4 sightings since they were introced. Three of which i saw with in a two week period...and i think it my have been the same one a couple of times. My 05 is the only 05 i have seen in the bay area. Not saying there are none out there, but i have not seen any. I think that is a good thing for me, but a bad thing for GM. Maybe they thought the car would sell its self and they could save a few extra buck in advertising. I think they shot themselves in the foot by not pushing the car that much...like the Cobalt.

#5 ·
Few cars to sell, so why advertise?

The local Pontiac dealers are getting in '05 GTO's a few at a time. Unlike the 04's, the new models are selling pretty quick once they arrive. I think these dealers were disappointed with GTO sales last year. Perhaps as a result, they didn't order many 05's to sit in inventory this year.

The local dealers claim to be getting sticker price (or a little over!) for the 05's. I don't know if they're even trying to get in more GTO's. They appear to prefer selling low volume but at a good mark-up.

A small town dealer placed my order on February 8 for an 05. He finally got a projected build date of April 6 from the assembly plant. That's going to make actual delivery in late May. Not very quick for a "sold order" in my opinion. The dealer had no explanation for the long delay in getting a build date.

#6 ·
before I bought my 04, I had originally ordered an 05 back in Sept 04. The delivery date was the first week of March. The delay is pretty normal I think.
When my dad bought a new Yukon back in 94, he ordered it in Sept. 93 and picked it up Feb. 23rd 94. I remember the exact day cause it was my birthday.
I think when you order a new car it takes a few months because it's put at the end of the "line" behind the "planned" production vehicles. Does that make sense?
Not to mention the order has to be processed. Then once the car is finished it has to be shipped over from Australia which has to take atleast 2 weeks I would think.

#7 · (Edited)
It does vary.

I've ordered (rather than bought off the lot) for the last forty years. The quickest delivery I ever got was two weeks. That was from placing the order to picking it up at the dealer. I know I got the particular car I ordered too, and not one from another dealer, because it was kinda wierd. It was a '66 silver/black 442 with a deluxe front bench seat, a.c., wire wheel covers, ps, pb, 3.08 posi, and a H.D. automatic on the column. I think that car was built quickly because sales were much slower than expected and it was just before Christmas.

Last year I ordered a new Yukon the first week of November. It took about 6 weeks. That's the typical duration for me between placing an order and picking it up.

I may be all wet on how orders are handled. I've just assumed that "sold" orders get moved to the front ahead of "dealer stock" orders. However, I've never really grilled somebody in the business to find out how it works. Surely someone in dealer sales can clarify this for the Forum.

#8 ·
I live near Chicago, and I haven't seen any adds anywhere about the GTO...

#9 ·
Reno'sGoat said:
Is it just where I live or all over that you do not see any adds in the papers for GTO's. We have to large Boston papers, the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald here, and I have yet to see in any pontiac dealers adds that they sell GTO's.
Also, I live about 15 miles north of Boston and I have seen only 2 on the roads in the last 1 1/2 years, 1 last july and 1 yesterday going thru an intersection. They are rare around here, but I feel thats a good thing.
tell me about it dont see any while out hunting with my turbo-t... not many performance cars period,... think the gas thing is a deterent... tend to think gto sales are slow in part because if people must run premium fuel in a car at these prices the car should at least look the part... a bit more aggressive... no offense

#10 ·
Reno'sGoat said:

Reno, same situation here in central PA. I've never seen an ad in the local paper even though at least two local dealers have GTO's (all 05's) on the lot.

I've seen exactly one other GTO on the road, another 05 in Impulse Blue. I think the GTO has a secret stealth feature that renders them invisible to everyone outside the car.

#11 ·
its the same here in VA. i see 2 around here all the time. both 04 and black. actually a cop in a small town here has one as his police car. all blacked out. not much in the papers either. seen one for sale in the paper over the weekend.

when i was coming back from flordia in feb from the race i seen 3 on the interstate a yellow,blue and a black. all 04's havent seen any 05's around.

plus i drove thru the ford dealership and by the stangs...the people in the dealership where lined up along the window to see what was crusing thru thier lot and getting more looks than the tangs......what a cool car!!!

#13 ·
Thanks all for your input, I would say it's all around for the most part. My two closest dealers still have new 04's and neither has ever put them in the paper. It just makes me wonder if theres some kind of conspiracy going on that nobody knows about. Anyway, just a few more days and we find out if there will be any April incentives. :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.