Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving home from work today and hit a long stretch of straight clear road. There is a grain truck ahead of me and some car (the Nissan) behind me. I pass the truck and the Nissan follows.. keeping close to my tail. I keep the gas pushed down in 5th... getting up to 110 pretty quickly.. and this guy keeps right up. I wasn't worried too much, but fairly impressed. So a mile or so down the road (after slowing down for an intersection) this guy is still behind me... just tailing me and keeping up. I figure I'll drop it to 4th (at about 65) and pull away easily. Granted I wouldn't say I'm the best at aggressively shifting... but this guy was on my tail up through 120... at 130 I started pulling away and by the time I hit 140 he was quite a ways behind me, but still I was impressed with how much he did keep up. I let off at close to 150 and coasted down to what seemed like a crawl at 70 and he caught up to me. We gave each other a thumbs up and went our separate ways. Do you guys think he'd done some work to that car or are they just that fast? Or do I just suck that bad at shifting? I really don't race at all and I rarely mess around like that unless the conditions are prefect.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
The 3.5 especially in a SER version is pretty decent in the Altima. Not enough to out perfrom the GTO but good enough to impress you like the one you ran did. I have a '04 Maxima with the 3.5 of course and for a sedan it does pretty good. I surprised the hell out of a guy in an Impala SS with the LT1. He tried pulling away from me but it didn't happen. I was slowly and I do mean slowly gaining ground on him. My ride has 265hp/255 lb. ft of tq. and weighs just under 3500 lbs. compared to the Impala SS at 260hp/330 lb. ft. of tq. and 4036 lbs. By the time we were at 120 or so he slowed down to make his exit.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Yep, gotta agree with others. If you were serious about pulling away, you should have grabbed 3rd @ 65mph not 4th.

With that said, the difference between a 270 HP car and a 400 HP car is not really all that much in the real world. You won't just instantly put 3 car lengths between you and almost any decent car from a roll. Off the line, your 400 Ft Lbs of twist will give that kind of result against most I4's or V6's which tend to be top end wonders these days.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not too surprising, the new Altima 3.5 SE Coupes, and the previos SE-R's are low-mid 14 sec cars. And being fwd, they're quickest from a roll of course. Next time you know to downshift even lower just to be on the safe side....;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have the LS1, or LS2 GTO? I woudl think a GTO should make quick work of a Altima. I destroyed a 3.5 Maxima this summer. He tried to cut me off; wasn't happening.... Here's my excerpt

04-01-2007

I was returing from downtown on Interstate 71 North (Friday). Had to give the Snake a little gas to leave the cronies behind but I eventually did. As I broke away from traffic, I see a White Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE in the left hand lane with about a car and 1/2 in front of him. In front of me was a truck (18 wheeler). I am approaching fast; about 80MPH. As I get closer, he decides to nail it and box me out. So, I cut over to the right lane of the truck and sped around.

To my surprise, he actually tried to nail it with me?

Luckily for me, I was in 5th when I saw him try, I nailed it, and it was over in seconds.

I would've preferred a Corvette, WRX, Evo, or a SRT8. However, a kill is a kill right?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Like was said before, you gotta drive like you're dead-serious if you want to leave'em in the dust. A 13 second car is not going to blow away a 14 second car, if you're not on your toes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Maxima now weighs 3500??? What did they do? I'm gonna guess the newer Alty's weigh in close to that, as even with 270hp/255 tq they're slower than my 2k2 was with only 245/256. Mine dynoed at 204 whp / 226 wtq (stock), and weighed in at just over 3100. they're supposed to be able to do 14 flat @100 in the quarter, but I don't know anyone who could launch a 5M alty perfectly to get those numbers. The best I ever did at the track was 9.35 (1/8 mile) at 77.78, but I stink at launching a fwd manual tranny. Yeah, they do pretty well from a roll, though. 40 is a sweet spot for the 2k2 5M, you're at about 3500 in second, and just below peak torque. Don't let them catch you off guard.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi, Goat,
Here is a chart I made up for UP/Down shifting my 06 M6 Manual:

Couldn't get it to space correctly in the post, so I have it attached:

View attachment 1843

Larry
I like that chart but does anyone know this? Does the M6 2006 GTO have a speed limiter. A guy on another post had a friend who races take it onto the track totally stock and take it up to 182mph. He claims Pontiac did not put a speed limiter on the 2006 only. All the top speed runs that are posted to about 163 are with A/T. Has anyone hit the speed limiter in a M/T 2006?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like that chart but does anyone know this? Does the M6 2006 GTO have a speed limiter. A guy on another post had a friend who races take it onto the track totally stock and take it up to 182mph. He claims Pontiac did not put a speed limiter on the 2006 only. All the top speed runs that are posted to about 163 are with A/T. Has anyone hit the speed limiter in a M/T 2006?
I hit the limiter on my 05 M/T at 156

·
Registered
730 Posts
That is what I mean. I have never heard anyone say they have hit the limiter on the 2006 M/T but only the 04 and 05. I am not going to be the test pilot to prove this however.
my 06 seemed to hit a brick wall around 150 although i was running out of roadway pretty quickly at that speed too to try to get her any faster. braking from 150 to 100 sucks, no really SUCKS. on the interstate the high speeds aren't so bad although 135 on the bad roads felt like driving my 93 roadmaster.

·
Registered
299 Posts
my 06 seemed to hit a brick wall around 150 although i was running out of roadway pretty quickly at that speed too to try to get her any faster. braking from 150 to 100 sucks, no really SUCKS. on the interstate the high speeds aren't so bad although 135 on the bad roads felt like driving my 93 roadmaster.
Thanks. I wonder how someone got a 'Stock' to 182? Maybe it felt like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts