Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the GTO hold up against a Nissan Z? Has anyone raced one? Driven one? Ridden in one?

A liberal freind of mine had one last summer (Nissan employee pool car). Sounds like it would hold up against a GTO if not beat it. The traction control system sounded more advanced than what we have to my knowledge but I have been extremely impressed with the TC on the GTO.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The GTO is a clear winner in acceleration but the Z can out handle the GTO, a skilled driver can beat a GTO with a Z on a road course. If you have a chance to race one on a road course take it, it should be damn good fun.

·
Registered
937 Posts
JTYLER1604 said:
How does the GTO hold up against a Nissan Z? Has anyone raced one? Driven one? Ridden in one?

A liberal freind of mine had one last summer (Nissan employee pool car). Sounds like it would hold up against a GTO if not beat it. The traction control system sounded more advanced than what we have to my knowledge but I have been extremely impressed with the TC on the GTO.
J, I work with a guy (Juan) who bought a 350Z. Its a nice car inside, and he got a bright copper color. He has the auto. We raced and I beat him so bad he couldnt believe it. All he had to do was floor the stupid thing (it wont spin the tires) and steer it in a straight line so I am pretty sure with his car that driver skill is a major factor. His car is better matched up with my buddy Jerry's Mark VIII who I stomped similarly. The Z and the Infinity are no match for you dude.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I raced two of them at my local track. I was nearly a half second quicker than both. I ran 13.8 one had an exhaust it ran a 14.3. The other one was stock and ran a 14.6. I don't know if either was a stick or auto, didn't really care either. I don't pay much attention if it's not a GTO.:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to have one. They are good cars and handle better than the GTO in stock trim. They are underpowered, however. 287 or 300hp would have been fine for the car, in 1990. These days, it doesn't cut it. 375-400hp and this would be an awesome car, maybe Nissan will make a turbo Z again one day.

That said, it is one of the least practical cars I've ever owned. The Z06 has way more useable luggage space, general storage spaces in the front of the car, and gets about the same gas mileage. It was fun to drive, though.

All in all, I'm happier with the GTO.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
diverdan said:
I used to have one. They are good cars and handle better than the GTO in stock trim. They are underpowered, however. 287 or 300hp would have been fine for the car, in 1990. These days, it doesn't cut it. 375-400hp and this would be an awesome car, maybe Nissan will make a turbo Z again one day.

That said, it is one of the least practical cars I've ever owned. The Z06 has way more useable luggage space, general storage spaces in the front of the car, and gets about the same gas mileage. It was fun to drive, though.

All in all, I'm happier with the GTO.
Looked at one before I bought the GTO. I was trading in a Z06. I couldn't believe how impractical it was compared to the Z06, let alone a GTO. They have instructions on how to fit a set of golf clubs in it. You can't fit two sets. LOL. Think about that next time you see the gas tank in our trunk.
Z06= awesome racecar for the street. GTO= awesome street car for the track.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Posted in an older thread, so this is sorta like leftovers only there's no need to clean the inside of the mikerwave.

Typical morning commute- drinking coffee, listening to Queens of the Stone Age, cruise control at 85, I calmly negotiate the trucks and sub-posted limit retards camping in the fast lane. I start closing on a red 350Z in the center lane. He sees me coming up on him, and drops it a gear to scoot ahead. Whatever. I continue on.

A couple miles further on, I again encounter the Nissan. Same thing. He pulls away.

OK, I thought, what the hell. Not bothering to drop it out of 6th, I felt my right foot suddenly get heavy.

100. 120. The distance between us remains pretty much static.

130. I'm starting to close.

140. Reeling him in.

I pull along side him at 145mph and, feeling friendly, wave. Looking away from the road long enough to glance at his speedo, he grinned, waved sheepishly back, and backed off the go-pedal.

He followed me the rest of the way into Santa Clarita.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Groucho said:
Posted in an older thread, so this is sorta like leftovers only there's no need to clean the inside of the mikerwave.

Typical morning commute- drinking coffee, listening to Queens of the Stone Age, cruise control at 85, I calmly negotiate the trucks and sub-posted limit retards camping in the fast lane. I start closing on a red 350Z in the center lane. He sees me coming up on him, and drops it a gear to scoot ahead. Whatever. I continue on.

A couple miles further on, I again encounter the Nissan. Same thing. He pulls away.

OK, I thought, what the hell. Not bothering to drop it out of 6th, I felt my right foot suddenly get heavy.

100. 120. The distance between us remains pretty much static.

130. I'm starting to close.

140. Reeling him in.

I pull along side him at 145mph and, feeling friendly, wave. Looking away from the road long enough to glance at his speedo, he grinned, waved sheepishly back, and backed off the go-pedal.

He followed me the rest of the way into Santa Clarita.
Perfect tunes for outpacing the Z Groucho, and you didnt even spill your coffee!

·
Registered
364 Posts
put them out of their misery quickly

Please, I keep reading about races where they leave it in 6th. Stop being lazy and downshift, stomp the gas and blow past. Well, I guess with these cars you can be lazy but it makes the other guy get false hope and think I almost beat a GTO.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
mumrah said:
Please, I keep reading about races where they leave it in 6th. Stop being lazy and downshift, stomp the gas and blow past. Well, I guess with these cars you can be lazy but it makes the other guy get false hope and think I almost beat a GTO.
:agree
....whenever I outrun someone, the last thing I'm gonna do is give him false hope that he "almost" outran me! :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
mumrah said:
Downshifting would mean that I cared. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having owned a 350Z, I can tell you it was a fun car. And it was a slick shifting 6spd, but I have to agree it was completely useless other than just haulin a$$. Mine had VDC which is like an advanced traction control, and it made it easy to drive though. But the GTO is a much nicer car for about the same money, if not cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove an auto 350Z last year and it was very disappointing. Its right to say that the tires won't even spin from a standstill! The power is smooth, which is nice for a luxury car, but feels so boring in a sports car. Handling was, however, nice. There is not even a comparison in my book.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, this is off-topic in my own thread but I didn't feel like starting a new one just to tell everyone something everyone already knows.

SLOWSTANGS SUCK.

I pulled up next to one on 75 s/b the other night and get this, his license plate reads "RACE ME." I revved my engine in nuetral, sped up a little slowed down, and he never took it off cruise control. What a p****. My theory is he knew I would make him my B**** and didn't want to give me the satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts