Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought you guys might enjoy this... This is a nitrous GTO with the new Hoosier Drag Radials running my buddy's 05 Evo. My buddy's Evo is running a stock turbo, but has a larger FMIC, exhaust cutout, more boost, cams, etc. I believe the owner of the GTO said his nitrous only engaged in 1st and 2nd gear because his intake air and coolant temps were too high. Anyway, here's the video:

N2O GTO vs 05 Evo

·
Registered
569 Posts
That's great! Wait for the "rider junk can't beat American Muscle" replies :). Even with the procharger and over 550 whp, my GTO won't hold it's own on the street with a lot of the locals lol.

Hey- are you from SV, NY?
Joe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Holden said:
Whats a Evo
Ummm, if you aren't serious, here is the answer to your question. It's a Mitsubishi. It's powered by the 4G63 engine which is a 2.0 liter turbo that produces 274 hp. It actually generates more, but the factory claims 274. It is also AWD, and they only come as a 4 door sedan. That wasn't fair, that was off the hole. An Evo on the top end has no chance with a GTO. Do that same race but a rolling start at 40 mph, and the GTO will have it for lunch......or dinner, since it was at night. Maybe it was late enough for a Taco Bell fourth meal. The point is this, the Evo is great and all, but it is better for rally (which it is famous for), road racing, and autocross. I've driven one, and it impressed me the amount of traction and pull it had, but after 3rd gear, the car is dead. Still a fun car for technical driving. Put some BFG drag radials on that goat, and the EVO is done son!

·
Registered
569 Posts
86Noel said:
Ummm, if you aren't serious, here is the answer to your question. It's a Mitsubishi. It's powered by the 4G63 engine which is a 2.0 liter turbo that produces 274 hp. It actually generates more, but the factory claims 274. It is also AWD, and they only come as a 4 door sedan. That wasn't fair, that was off the hole. An Evo on the top end has no chance with a GTO. Do that same race but a rolling start at 40 mph, and the GTO will have it for lunch......or dinner, since it was at night. Maybe it was late enough for a Taco Bell fourth meal. The point is this, the Evo is great and all, but it is better for rally (which it is famous for), road racing, and autocross. I've driven one, and it impressed me the amount of traction and pull it had, but after 3rd gear, the car is dead. Still a fun car for technical driving. Put some BFG drag radials on that goat, and the EVO is done son!
Hmm, so if the GTO beat the Evo from a roll, can the Evo driver say "no fair, we raced from a roll"?? Come on, if they both went form a dig, they apparently BOTH agreed to. Besides- a drag race does not start from a roll :). Also, read again- the GTO has hoosiers on it- BFG's are not going to hook any better than them. So, apparently- the Evo is not "done" :).

10sec- don't know if you saw my last post- are you from SV?
Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Come on people. This was a street race that didn't go too far. But honestly, how many street races only go a 1/4 mile or so? And based on the video they didn't go too far. What would have happened if they went to 150 plus. Besides only having nitrous for 1st and 2nd gear is a waste. If it was there for all gears the results definitely would have been different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Hmm, so if the GTO beat the Evo from a roll, can the Evo driver say "no fair, we raced from a roll"?? Come on, if they both went form a dig, they apparently BOTH agreed to. Besides- a drag race does not start from a roll :). Also, read again- the GTO has hoosiers on it- BFG's are not going to hook any better than them. So, apparently- the Evo is not "done" :).

10sec- don't know if you saw my last post- are you from SV?
Joe
Sorry, I should have read a little more. Evo must be nicely equiped. I've riden in my friends 240 SX with an SR20DET. It's another 2.0 liter turbo, just not as powerful. Makes about 205 hp, stock. My friend is boosting 12 psi, so he is probably 220 hp at the crank, and we kept up with a stock Evo on the top end. I have stated before, any car can beat any car. You just need to invest time and money into it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
86Noel said:
Sorry, I should have read a little more. Evo must be nicely equiped. I've riden in my friends 240 SX with an SR20DET. It's another 2.0 liter turbo, just not as powerful. Makes about 205 hp, stock. My friend is boosting 12 psi, so he is probably 220 hp at the crank, and we kept up with a stock Evo on the top end. I have stated before, any car can beat any car. You just need to invest time and money into it.

I don't know why the SR20 is such a popular swap- you can make more power and have a stonger motor by just building up the KA24 in the car- guys have made well over 700 whp with that one. The SR20 is just one of those motors caught up in this "JDM" craze. Also, you can't compare the SR20 to the 4G63- the 4G makes incredible power and has ridiculous potential.

6qts- I didn't realize until you mentioned not using the nitrous the whole run. Yes- that would have made a nice difference- why the hell would you only spray 1st and 2nd??? If nothing else, spray up top, not down low. I do find it hard to believe though, that someone would be losing a race and actually let go of the button- come on now, when you are losing and the adrenaline is pumping, you don't voluntarily reduce power- you push that damn button harder like it will give you more :). I think the GTO lost and used the "I only sprayed in first and second" thing as an excuse- but obviously, without being there, this is just an opinion based on my years around street racing.

Oh- BTW- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Thanks :cheers It feels good being 27... for the 13th time. I'd love to sit and chat but I have to go try on the new crotchless Depends by Victoria Secrets :rofl:
Bwahahaha- I need to go puke now :willy: .
Joe

·
Registered
50 Posts
kwiktsi said:
I don't know why the SR20 is such a popular swap- you can make more power and have a stonger motor by just building up the KA24 in the car- guys have made well over 700 whp with that one. The SR20 is just one of those motors caught up in this "JDM" craze. Also, you can't compare the SR20 to the 4G63- the 4G makes incredible power and has ridiculous potential.

6qts- I didn't realize until you mentioned not using the nitrous the whole run. Yes- that would have made a nice difference- why the hell would you only spray 1st and 2nd??? If nothing else, spray up top, not down low. I do find it hard to believe though, that someone would be losing a race and actually let go of the button- come on now, when you are losing and the adrenaline is pumping, you don't voluntarily reduce power- you push that damn button harder like it will give you more :). I think the GTO lost and used the "I only sprayed in first and second" thing as an excuse- but obviously, without being there, this is just an opinion based on my years around street racing.

Oh- BTW- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Joe
The KA-T starts to run into reliability issues because people don't like to build engines anymore. People rather be cool and swap in the SR20. I totally agree that the 4G63 has more potential, but remember that the S13 SR20 only boosts 8 psi stock. The 4G63 boosts 18.5 psi from the factory. I am not sure what the S15 SR20 boosts, but it comes with 250 hp. There is a guy in Sport RWD in the NHRA Sport Compact that is running an SR20 in his S14. I don't know why he isn't running a KA, but there is a good reason for it. Some guy in Japan has an SR20 with a T88 running about 800 rwhp. But yea, for the money, I'd keep the KA and build it, unless I buy a 240 with an SR already in it. I know someone is running 700 rwhp+ on a KA-T. I'm not fighting against your word, but it's always cool to exchange opinion and facts with people.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The KA-T starts to run into reliability issues because people don't like to build engines anymore. People rather be cool and swap in the SR20.
Yes, a stock KA with a turbo on it will have reliability issues- rods and ringlands, pretty much like any other NA motor that you just toss a turbo on and crank the boost really. Like you said, people just don't do it right and build the motor like they should.

I totally agree that the 4G63 has more potential, but remember that the S13 SR20 only boosts 8 psi stock. The 4G63 boosts 18.5 psi from the factory. I am not sure what the S15 SR20 boosts, but it comes with 250 hp. There is a guy in Sport RWD in the NHRA Sport Compact that is running an SR20 in his S14. I don't know why he isn't running a KA, but there is a good reason for it. Some guy in Japan has an SR20 with a T88 running about 800 rwhp. But yea, for the money, I'd keep the KA and build it, unless I buy a 240 with an SR already in it. I know someone is running 700 rwhp+ on a KA-T. I'm not fighting against your word, but it's always cool to exchange opinion and facts with people
The 4G in the Evo is 18.5- the 1G talons were ~10 psi- so they've come a long way in stock form. The SR20 is cool to say you have, but that's about it- it will never match the power of a well built KA motor- although the JDM fans will argue all day about one person who does (not talking about your "guy in Japan" example), but leave out how many motors he has broken in the mean time and they will make less than 1/3 the power he does- BUT since they have an SR20 also, they are cool.

The 240 is one car that I have kicked around building for a few years now. Getting kind of tired of DSM's and the 240 is RWD, which can make it fun to toss around- and whoop up on my GTO :). The GTO is just a nice car to me, I will never cut it up and build a serious car out of it- something like a 240, I can do what I want to it and not really care!
Joe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, a stock KA with a turbo on it will have reliability issues- rods and ringlands, pretty much like any other NA motor that you just toss a turbo on and crank the boost really. Like you said, people just don't do it right and build the motor like they should.

The 4G in the Evo is 18.5- the 1G talons were ~10 psi- so they've come a long way in stock form. The SR20 is cool to say you have, but that's about it- it will never match the power of a well built KA motor- although the JDM fans will argue all day about one person who does (not talking about your "guy in Japan" example), but leave out how many motors he has broken in the mean time and they will make less than 1/3 the power he does- BUT since they have an SR20 also, they are cool.

The 240 is one car that I have kicked around building for a few years now. Getting kind of tired of DSM's and the 240 is RWD, which can make it fun to toss around- and whoop up on my GTO :). The GTO is just a nice car to me, I will never cut it up and build a serious car out of it- something like a 240, I can do what I want to it and not really care!
Joe
:agree Yea, I plan to buy a GTO and do a few things to it, but not go crazy like what I am doing to my Corolla GT-S. I'm building a drift/autocross/road racing car out of it. I know I am going to run into reliability problems, because I am building a high revving N/A 1.6 liter. The block is 20 years old, so you can imagine the prep that needs to go into it. I'd rather do that kind of thing to an older car, because a nice GTO, with 400 hp, A/C, and a nice stereo would be nice for daily, while my beat up race car is used on the weekends. lol.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it me, or did the GTO have a piss poor start? I couldn't tell with the camera shaking going on. And you'd think you'd see a N20 Purge just after the burnout, but I guess some people don't do that. I'm sure the EVO in the vid is quite fast, it just looks like the GTO driver messed up or didn't know what he was doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it me, or did the GTO have a piss poor start? I couldn't tell with the camera shaking going on. And you'd think you'd see a N20 Purge just after the burnout, but I guess some people don't do that. I'm sure the EVO in the vid is quite fast, it just looks like the GTO driver messed up or didn't know what he was doing.
Well, the EVO is AWD, so the start is always going to be better than a RWD car. A FWD car with 500 hp is just gonna have problems, even with slicks designed for FWD cars. And just incase you are wondering, RWD slicks are made to grab and go. FWD slicks are different. What they are designed to do is scramble for traction. Who cares, there aren't any FWD cars in this video. lol. The GTO seemed like it got a decent start. Kept up well with the EVO off the hole.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What he said, well without the rambling ;) . Have you ever seen a "proper" AWD launch on the street- makes almost any other car look like it got a bad start :).

·
Registered
569 Posts
:agree Yea, I plan to buy a GTO and do a few things to it, but not go crazy like what I am doing to my Corolla GT-S. I'm building a drift/autocross/road racing car out of it. I know I am going to run into reliability problems, because I am building a high revving N/A 1.6 liter. The block is 20 years old, so you can imagine the prep that needs to go into it. I'd rather do that kind of thing to an older car, because a nice GTO, with 400 hp, A/C, and a nice stereo would be nice for daily, while my beat up race car is used on the weekends. lol.
Yup, that's why I got the GTO- a nice, comfortable, decently powered car for cruising and such. But like anything else I drive, if it doesn't impress me power wise, I keep going until it does :). I am getting it tuned today and we are hoping to get decent numbers out of it- hopefully in the 580ish range- that makes it fun to drive! I will be bulding something else as a "race" car though, maybe another DSM- or like I mentioned in another post- possibly a 240- always thought they look nice setup as a drag car :). The GTO is just too heavy to get serious numbers out of at the track and I don't want to gut the crap out of it and put a solid rear in, too nice of a car for that!
Joe

·
Registered
400 Posts
What he said, well without the rambling ;) . Have you ever seen a "proper" AWD launch on the street- makes almost any other car look like it got a bad start :).
This could be what I'm seeing...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts